Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Superbowl Brisket ! FIRST EVER SMOKE!!

Seidegger
Seidegger Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Despite the warnings, I am going for it...I am going to take a 13lb whole brisket, start Saturday night, and pray to god I am a natural and believe that it will turn out perfect for the 15 beefeaters Sunday afternoon while not burning down my house overnight. I mean what is better than a brisket done right? Plus, while it rests for an hour, I can do some indirect chicken legsnwings...

Should I go with the whole over just the flat?

Planning to take some DizzyPig CowLick Rub 50% mixed with 50% Brown Raw Sugar, no sauce or mop, only sauce served at the end.

I think I can do this with my trusty Thermapen and some faith...at $1.98 per pound for choice brisket, how can I resist?

Comments

• I have always had better results with a whole packer..always turns out juicier!! I would HIGHLY recommend that you take a look at one of the great brisket recipes in the Cookbook (Elder Ward's comes to mind) and follow the PREPARATION and COOKING instructions to a tee. You can choose your own rub, as you mention, but brisket is MUCH less forgiving than a pork butt.

I would personally recommend you add a LOT of black pepper to your rub mix....just something about black pepper on beef! Many of the BBQ Brisket "churches" in central Texas are dominated by salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder...without much else. Who am I to argue?! ;)

GOOD LUCK!!

Seidegger wrote:
    Despite the warnings, I am going for it...I am going to take a 13lb whole brisket, start Saturday night, and pray to god I am a natural and believe that it will turn out perfect for the 15 beefeaters Sunday afternoon while not burning down my house overnight. I mean what is better than a brisket done right? Plus, while it rests for an hour, I can do some indirect chicken legsnwings...

Should I go with the whole over just the flat?

Planning to take some DizzyPig CowLick Rub 50% mixed with 50% Brown Raw Sugar, no sauce or mop, only sauce served at the end.

I think I can do this with my trusty Thermapen and some faith...at $1.98 per pound for choice brisket, how can I resist?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I would do a whole flat and plan to have it done 3 hours before you need it. This will allow you time if it goes slowly, and plenty of time to do the chicken.

It will hold just fine in a cooler for 4-5 hours with no problems. Whatever you do, don't slice it until you are ready to serve. It will dry right before your eyes.

As for the rub, I would back off on the sugar a little and add more salt and pepper. Personal preference on my end.
  • I have better luck with the whole packer. If youu never tried brisket before, then good luck. It is one fickle piece o cow.

Might want to do some reading beforehand.

Start here.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and then go here.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Go with a whole packer and if you can get a remote thermometer, so much the better. I'd go till it reaches 195-200 and I usually go 200 before pulling and foiling. When you foil, add heated beef broth to the foil and put the brisket in the foil meat side down.
    My guess is that 13 lb piece of meat you have will go for quite some time. My last one was 14 1/2 lbs went for 13 1/2 hours at dome of 250. The one before that was 14 lbs and went for 15 1/2 hours about 225 dome.

I had to use the rib rack to get the whole thing on

DSC08884.jpg

This was just before I pulled it. The rib rack can be removed after it shrinks some.

DSC08957.jpg

Good luck,
  • Since there are still a few days before the Super Bowl, and with the brisket at less than $2/lb, why not do a trial run?

Brisket is the only thing I've smoked in the Egg that hasn't turned out well on the first try. Even one trial run will significantly improve your chances to deliver amazing brisket on Super Bowl Sunday.

If you can't do a practice run, you might want to have a backup plan to feed those 15 hungry people.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I also think a trial run would be your best bet. Having 15 hungry guys with a bad brisket(should it go wrong) is not a combination I'd want in my house. They might eat your wife's topiaries. I'd have some back up chow on hand too, you won't be able to order any food on that day.