Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to smoke beef sticks

Options
WileECoyote
WileECoyote Posts: 516
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About a year ago I ran into an old Kentucky farm family that makes and sells a variety of meat products. Their beef snack sticks are my favorite and they are sold ready to eat in vacuum-sealed plastic bags. The ingredients are beef, pork, water, seasonings, and cure. They are about 1/2" diameter and 4" long with 4 to a pack. They are normally smoked and somewhat dried but not like jerky. The taste is awesome, by far the best I ever had.

Well I recently got some more and for whatever reason it looks like their cook did not smoke this latest batch. They have the same seasonings, ingredients, and dimensions as before but this time the sticks have a brighter reddish meat color instead of the darker smoked meat color. They don't taste quite the same either. The family admitted that the latest cook changed something and they will be changing it back for all future orders but for now I am stuck with a supply of these.

So my question is: can I smoke these beef sticks in the egg even though they are already cured, in casings, and ready to eat? I think I can, and if so then I need a good guess on what temperature, time, wood chips, and setup to use. I am thinking maybe 200 F for 1 hour, hickory or cherry chips, and indirect with a plate setter. I have a large egg so I can probably smoke 30-40 sticks at once. Any opinions or advice?

Also, I just picked up a few bags of Anheuser Busch Beechwood barrel chips. I heard these might be similar to Alder and if so they would be good for salmon or fish, then another site said they were similar to Oak. Anyone try these yet?

Comments