Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium vs. large

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering purchasing an "Egg" and am wavewring between the medium and large sizes. Rarely do I cook for more than 6 adults; any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Bama Chad
    Bama Chad Posts: 154
    I have medium and it works ok for 2-3. I bought an XL to cook for the fam back home (9 adults total).

If I had to do over I would have gotten a large, and that will be my next purchase. It's the flagship and more eggccessary friendly.

Go with the large, especially cooking for 4-6.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Get the largest you can comfortably afford. That was the best advice I got 4 years ago when I bought my large.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Large all the way.
  • mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    I'm single.
    Large is the way to go.
    When I cook big, it's big. 5 butts, 8 racks, tons of short ribs, turkey.
    Otherwise, even just cooking a steak or two, it still works fine.
  • You may want to do a search on "MEDIUM" on this forum as this question comes alot.

Most go w/ large then add a second after they fall in love w/ their new BGE.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    go for the large! It's just 2 of us most cooks, but I too started with the large. Then start saving your butter and egg money for a small BGE companion!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I had the same question a few months back and I bought the large. Large is more versatile and I only cook for my wife and me for the most part. Good luck!
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I have both. I've had my medium for ten years and my large for about 6 months. You'll be limited in what you can fix for 6 adults on the medium. It can be done, but your menu choices will be dictated by the Egg. For example, other than filets or small strips, you won't fit 6 steaks on the medium at once. I like my medium better for grilling and the large better for smoking. If you're cooking for two most of the time and 6 once in a great while and favor grilling, I'd be tempted to lean toward the medium. If you plan to do a lot of low and slow smoking and have people over often, think large. Or, just give in and get both now. :woohoo:
  • RCflier
    RCflier Posts: 57
    I have just a medium, I often wish it was a large.

It is just 2 of us most times, and I can squeeze on enough ribs for 6, but it still seems to be never enough room.

If I cedar plank 2 salmon fillets, or put on 2 game hens, etc, there's no room for veggies or any other sides.

Guess my next egg will be a large..
  • RRP,

I have a large for just two of us, and was thinking of getting a small when only cooking a single steak or s few shrimp, etc. BUT, the small savings in lump each cook would probably take 124 years to equal the cost of buying a small plus the "toys" that go with it ! :ohmy:

I'm hoping Todd will come up with a 'lump bucket' design like he is experimenting on for the XL, then we can have a small inside our large. :woohoo:
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I came within a chicken's whisker of selling my medium before I bought my large, thinking I had no use for both. Glad I stopped myself. I've had many evenings when I have both going, and that's been in crappy weather. When Spring comes, I think they'll both be working often.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    no - all kidding aside - the small is a miser when it comes to lump as compared to a large. The fire box holds way less lump plus the grate is closer to the fire so you can get the heat up quicker with less lump. Other than the cast iron grate that I cut myself for my small the only other things I bought and use occasionally are 2 fire bricks which can elevate an auxiliary grate.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • go with the large I cook for myself, wife & 2 small kids, with plenty room, I added the mini to our arsenal for camping, tailgating and when we just want burgers & dogs using almost no charcoal.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Plyger, get the large and then you can add the small to it for just the two of you. I started with the large and when I do a brisket, I still have trouble fitting it on. With a butt or two, you just won't have room on the medium. I can do a low and slow on the large and now I can do the baked potatoes on the small or do the fish or whatever on the large and the vegetables on the small. Seems like a lot of us go for the large and then, later when the time is right, we opt for the small rather than the medium. You will, I'm sure, be happier starting with the large than the medium and going from there. Good luck with your decision.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    OK -- I gotta be honest about this.

I have a Medium and a Small... and I love 'em both.

That said -- If I could do it all over again, I'd get a Large and a Small.

But then again, I wouldn't give up my Medium. We Be Olde Friends by now...

~ B
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Get the large. ;) I bought a large first and that is really all I needed. I wanted another one to go with it but could not justify the expence just to have another egg. I found a 1 month old used small and could not resist the temptation. :blush: I love them both.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    I got a medium about 10 years ago. I found out I really liked the egg a lot and wanted something bigger. So I returned the medium, (BBQ Galore had a deal where you can change up for a 10% fee and the difference), and brought home a large.

Now I have all the sizes and three larges. The medium is a great cooker. I use it more than any other. Just plan on adding another cooker because you'll want it....even if you get the large.

G'luck
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Very well said Chris.You know what's funny to me,is that most people that badmouth the medium don't even have one.I'm not badmouthing the large,I really like them,but it's the only egg that I don't own(yet) :whistle: BTW:my medium is my go-to egg for most stuff :woohoo: Maybe I'll get a large someday,but no time soon :side:
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I can settel this!!!
    It doesn't matter what size you get now because it's just at matter of time before you get another Egg. I have a large and a medium and would like a small.
    good luck just get an Egg and get cooking.
    JupiterJim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    tis true tis true.