Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digi Q II question

EggRacer
EggRacer Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is the standard 4 cfm blower adequate for a large BGE or should I get the optional 10 cfm pit viper? Any other recommendations or things to consider? I'm thinking about purchasing it.
XLBGE & LBGE
North Richland Hills, TX

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    The 4 cfm has more than enough airflow for a LBGE, and you won't have to remember to choke it down. -RP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    The 4 cfm will work fine. When I purchased my DigiQII (q2) I called and talked with Fred Sr. at BBQ Guru about the best way to configure my q2 purchase.

Fred Sr. told me to get the Viper (10cfm) fan. The fan assembly has a slider on it to restrict the air flow to however, little flow I need - from 0 cfm to 10 cfm.

GG
  • I have the 10 cfm fan. The advantage over the 4 cfm fan is if I want to get the fire going fast I can just open the damper and let her rip.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I chose the pit viper 10CFM fan. I figured I could use it half throttle for my LBGE cooks, but If I ever needed it on a bigger cooker or wanted to sell it to someone with a bigger cooker, I would have the blower capacity. 4 CFM is definately enough but if you ever need more you wont have it. With a 10 you got all you will ever need no matter what.
  • I have the 4cfm and it has been plenty with my large. At times, I have needed to choke it down. The 10 would be a bit much most of the time.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • Nah, you just close the damper down.
  • I use the 10CFM blower on a small egg wide open to run 400 degrees. Maybe I'll try lower temps just for fun to see if choking down is even necessary.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Same price as Guru but you can program it from your computer and have charts emailed to you as it cooks.

http://rocksbarbque.com/

-rob
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    When using the q2, once in a while the pit temperature would overshoot. The overshooting happened more often with lower temperature cooks. At first I thought, and was also told, I had some kind of problem with the q2.

I ran a cook with only the adapter and the fan attached to the lower vent. No controller connection. The temperature was again too hot.

The problem wasn't the cfm of the fan, it was the amount of free air (non powered air) going into the egg.

Since then I leave fan slider full open to get the egg stabilized then closed the slider down to 1/3 - 1/4 open.

The pit temperature overshooting ended at that point.

Somewhere I read the slider should be closed down so the q2 runs at about a 60% duty cycle.

For those who find the q2 overshoots check the duty cycle of the fan. It can be measured by the flashing of the display. If you have short duty cycles then close the air slider.

GG
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    I appreciate the responses.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX