Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

xl - firing up the BGE up

Options
GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
do most of you light the center(one spot) or multi spots when lighting up your XL BGE

Thanks

Comments

• Hsbldr1
    Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
    Options
    i always light only in the center.
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    Five spots. 12 o'clock, 3, 6, 9 o'clock and then dead center. Hope this helps.
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    If I want a quick fire [in a hurry], I light a bed of lump with my weed burner... then put more lump on top-a that. This gets things going quickly, and produces high heat.

If I want a medium-long burn [several hours] I light three places low in the firebox with napkin and OO, then add lump. This will be for burns in the 375 - 450 range.

If I want a long burn, I light one place, center top of the lump, with OO and napkin. This will be for long, slow, low-temp burns...

~ Broc
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    xllumpbucket022.jpg

Since only three of us in the family, I've fabricated a reducing lump bucket and 3 legged crossbar to grill smaller. It reduces the xl to a medium egg, 15 inch grid.

I've grilled on the xl, large and medium eggs and this is becoming my preferred grilling method. No problem on heat control, just raise the grid on the hanger or flip ring, easy to access the lump from the side and plenty of space for elbow room. Kinda need to remind myself that less lump is usually better than more lump. Can use a medium fire with a big grid to create an off center warming spot to hold food. Still playing with the grid size and shape, round vs. rectangular. Reminds me of cooking on a weber kettle.

It's takes a little to get use too, big cooker with little cook but I'm digging it. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    You're a pretty fart smeller,...uh Smart Feller! :sick: I'm impressed! really!

LR
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    That's pretty much the way I do it although I don't use a weed burner.
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    Cool and creative setup
  • Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    What a "grate" idea. Now if you can turn an XL into a mini you should market them.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great post Tom.
    Are you still using the standard gasket?
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tjv
    Options
    I had to look at the picture, guess I am old technology on the gasket. Did find over the weekend, I have a cracked firebox.... T
  • tjv
    Options
    Ironically, my first cook on the xl was this way, pulled the firebox out of the large to do a quick small cook. I never really liked grilling on the xl, to big for just three, but now with this set up, I'm liking it more with each cook. Lot's of options to work the grid space, whatever grid is used.
  • tjv
    Options
    Have not tried a mini grid, but don't see why it would not work. stack the lump four inches deep on a nine inch diameter bucket and the temp will rock. The three legged crossbar will hold any size grid, so now it's how big or small to make the lump bucket. Also, need to figure out if round or square grids provide the best usable grill space.
  • tjv
    Options
    You should see the junk idea pile....LOL. T
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    That's what I'm taking about. Nice sent up. Gotta name for it yet?
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    multiple, on my cooks. It's easy to do when you have MAPP.

MAPPGas008.jpg
  • tjv
    Options
    not sure I need to name it. I'm wondering if the perforated steam table pans will work for a bucket. half size pan is 10x12 and 4 inch is perfect depth. they are stainless with plenty of holes bottom and sides for air movement. just not sure how the 22 or 24 gauge material thickness will hold up under the heat load. t