Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deer Roast Update

Options
Hsbldr1
Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
5hrs on egg dome temp 200 meat temp up to 155... still trying to decide what temp to pull.
img_2155.jpg
Thinking 170 any thought would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    you may be able to do that.. although i am no deer expert but if i do pulled chicken or pulled pork i usually go to at least 185...

HTH

looks tastey ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hsbldr1
    Options
    yeah I was just worried about drying out the roast. everyone says that will probably happen no matter bacause its deer. but i am hoping either to pull or slice toss in bbq suace put in foil container and cook some more kind of like burnt ends. who knows maybe it will be edible :unsure:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    with as fatty as that bacon looks you should be fine but once again i am no deer expert

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hsbldr1
    Options
    i am not even a deer amature this is only the third time i have ever tried to cook it. the first time was a disaster. the second was cube steak on the stove(it was great) and now so i figure i can only get better. anyway i am now thinking you are probably right, think i will go a little higher.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    I did one a few weeka ago. About 3lbs. 250 dome until 145 inside. It was nice and tender.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Deer is so lean that I'm thinking that you would want to cook it at a higher temp.The bacon will help some but the fact of cooking lean meat at a low temp for so long may not get the results you want. After all, that's how you make jerky. I'd pull it at 150F tops.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I agree Big'un.It has been my eggperience with venison that HIGHER=DRIER!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    That's not really what I said..higher heat is better with lean meat= quicker cook. Long slow cooks will dry out lean meat if you cook them too long. HTH.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I haven't been keeping much track of this. Let me know the final results. Someone decided I need a Deer Roast in exchange for ribs.

Mike
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Buster Dog,

Was your roast from a hind quarter or from the backstraps? Someone is bringing be a whole backstrap and was considering cutting off a section and cooking like a roast, but have never cooked deer on the BGE? It looks like a higher temp and pull at 130 or so for medium rare (like cooking a prime rib) might be the way to go.

The only way I have had backstrap is cut into small steaks and quick fried - great eating, but not too healthy.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
  • DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Options
    If you have a backstrap approach it like a beef filet. I slice it into steaks about an inch thick and wrap in very thin sliced bacon. I prefer just pepper garlic and kosher salt for seasoning. Grill very hot and fast just till the bacon is cooked. You want it medium rare-medium max. Anymore than that and it is way too tough. Also if you have a jaccard type tenderizer try running it through the steaks before wrapping in bacon.

Glad to see another Mississippian on the board.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks.

Have you ever tried to cook a larger section like a beef tenderloin?

Rub, Sear, rest and finish at 350 or so. Pulling at 125-130 should give a medium rare, more tender small venison roast.

Maybe that won't work, but just curious and would hate to "mess up" a gift backstrap.

Hey, from what part of the State do you hail?
  • DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Options
    Im from Meridian.

I have not done a whole backstrap before. I always figured that with a piece that big you would end up overcooking the end sections to get the middle right.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    I don't know. I took my small egg to my buddies and another buddy broke it out. It reminded me of a small brisket flat.

I wrapped in the fattiest bacon I could find, injected with cajun injector venison and cooked at 250 -275 dome until low 140's. Let sit for about 10 min and sliced.

I think most other meats and loins a high heat sear is what you want.