Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deer Roast Update

Options
Hsbldr1
Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK i got lazy with the snapper..cut it into strips and batter fried. But the Roast I am going to try to make pulled BBQ. Maybe something closer to burnt ends it just really depends on how it comes off the egg.
Here it is cleaned of silver skin and fat
IMG_0784.jpg
Dusted with Red Dirt and Coated with mus. and wor.
IMG_0786.jpg
Sliced to bone every 2" with Bacon inserted
IMG_0787.jpg
Wrapped in Bacon Dusted again wrapped in plastic about 1 hour while i get the egg ready
IMG_0790.jpg
Thinking 200 degrees indirect wondering about meat temp. Suggestions for removal temp would be greatly appreciated.
More pics to follow.

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I wish you were here to try the neck roast stew I made yesterday. I pre-cooked the neck roast in the pressure cooker before adding the meat and juices to the potatoes, carrots, onions, tomatoes and mushrooms in the crockpot. It was outstanding. The meat was tender and delicious. It's been bitterly cold here and I've been avoiding the outdoor cooking on the Egg a bit.

I have been a hunter all my life and my family too. I have yet to attempt a venison roast on the Egg. Lean, dry and generally tough meat and slow cooking on the Egg just don't seem to go together. Please let us know how your experiment turns out. Mark
  • Hsbldr1
    Options
    will do. My father has hunted all my life but i never really got into the deer hunting. My son on the other hand seems to have the same love for it he has. Makes me proud and happy to see the bond they are forming because of it who know maybe i will try it again. Anyway i will certianly let ya'll know how it goes.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    You mentioned snapper in your post. Would that be a snapping turtle? If so, the same method works extremely well for them. Pressure cook till tender, take meat off the bone and dip in milk and egg and bread crumbs or panko and a quick pan fry. Yummy.
  • Hsbldr1
    Options
    nah red snapper usually blacken in cast iron skillet, but i went the stay in the house way. It was still good though.