Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought 2 cryovack packs of baby back. have ubeed them with mustard and sprinkled with a rub. I know to cook them on the egg indirect. Question is, how long do I cook them and at what temp. Also, how much do I want to smoke them?[p]Wow to all those that help (JSlot)

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    first timer,[p]Welcome to the club! I'm a heckuva lot more experienced with spares (my favorite) than baby backs, but I have been expanding my horizons. LOL! For your first cook, I would cook at 350° indirect until the meat has pulled back about ¼" from the end of the bone on the ribs. I wouldn't use any smoking wood, just the lump charcoal. Once you find out what flavor you have from just the lump, you can add wood if you want more smoke flavor. That's much better than ending up with ribs that are too smoky for your taste on the first try. Let us know how it goes and good eatin' to ya'!!!![p]Jim
  • first timer,
    Baby backs are my favorite. I use the "Memphis Style Ribs" procedure on GFW's website. My friends go on and on about them and they are real picky eaters:[p]3 hours indirect at 250 degrees.Turn every 30-45 minutes
    1 hour indirect in foil at 250 degrees.
    1 1/2 hours split between indirect and direct at 250 degrees. Turn once during each 45 minute interval.
    I put barbecue sauce on the last 45 minute direct cook.
    I also use a drip pan with some coke and water and spritz with apple juice periodically.
    The process takes about 5 1/2 hours and is kind of complicated but the results are fantastic. Someone told me that ribs are done when the ends of the bone start to bubble. I use this guideline and it seems to work well. I guess some on the BGE site don't like the foil idea, but it works well for me. For what it's worth. Good Luck!![p]Bill Smith

• Stuckeydude from Oz
    Options
    first timer,[p]I'm planning on cooking my baby backs tomorrow at a dome temp of 225F and 3 slabs on an indirect firebrick setup for about 5 hours or until the meat has pulled back a centimetre from the end of the bone.
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Bill,[p]One of the most important things is removing the silvery membrane with a butterknife before cooking. It's a trick the first time, but it gets a lot easier.[p]I agree that the 3/1/1 method with foil is foolproof and great. This Sunday, I am going to try an experiment, based on some recommendations here on the forum: four hours, 210, right on the grill [elevated], maybe flipping them once or twice, maybe a little sauce toward the end. A lot easier. Hope it's almost as good.[p]I'll let you know. [p][p]

• JSlot,
    Thanks Jim! I have been a "lurker" for some time and appreciate your down to earth, non condescending advice over most others. (No offense to others meant here)[p]I wanted to try a slower cook, somewhere in the 200-225 range like a boston butt. Is this too low? SOme posts show 350 and some in the 200-225 range. Time is not an issue.[p]Do I use one of those V rack thinks or just place the ribs bone up/bone down on a grid placed on top of an inverted plate setter?[p]In my lurking, I have seen ideas that include spritzing with apple juice. How does one "spritz"? Do I use a bowl and brush it on (fear of smearing my mustard/dry spice rub) or use a hair spray bottle?[p]Someone talked about foil and a 3/1.5/1 method. I'm thinking of trying this. I tried this method once before with an Apple City Rib Rub recipe and spares (at your advice) and they were out of this world! [p]Thanks again for your help and advice. The kids ALWAYS appreciate your and everyone's advice from this forum.