Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Assembly Suggestions

BBQBluesStringer
BBQBluesStringer Posts: 398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Guess what I have in the car... Of course it wouldn't fit assembled, so we uncrated it at the dealer and stuffed parts here and there so I could get it home (wife won't let me use her truck). Any suggestions about assembling it? I've got the stand (will build table later), sideboards, and the large Greenie, of course. In one of the threads about lid sealing problems I think I saw mention of applying silicon under the bands when assembling Greenie. Granted, that was 3:00 AM and I might have dreamed it. All assembly suggestions welcome![p]Thanks![p]BBS

Comments

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    BBQBluesStringer, Should go together fairly easily. Remember that, since you have the sideboards, you must insert the mounting bolts onto the lower band from the inside to the outside BEFORE INSTALLING and TIGHTENING the band. Otherwise you will be taking off the band again later to insert them.[p]My large went together very easily. I just had the dome sitting on the base with the loose bands and tightened everything up in that position. Undid the top bolt of the two safety straps and then let them hang by the lower bolts(in case you need to take off the bands in the future you will have the safety straps). Everything has worked fine with no gasket leaks or mismatching of the dome/base.[p]Good luck.
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]While this doesn't help with your silicon questions, it may prove helpful.[p]Jethro
  • Jethro
    Jethro,[p]See I told you that would be helpful. Lemme try dat again.
    [ul][li]Cut Away Drawing[/ul]
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Jethro, I never understood the silicon thing either. Looking at the drawing you posted reminds me of one of the other key assembly instrictions... make sure the draft door opening is lined up with the opening in the firebox.

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    BBQBluesStringer,
    Most of it should be pretty self explanatory..2 things to watch are the alignment of the firebox and the slide opening, and before you tighten the spring assist, make sure the dome is sitting absolutely flat. Next, calibrate the thermometer.[p]Maybe pay attention to the video on the flashback....because it WILL under the right conditions, and it will definately get your attention. After you get that puooff a couple of times, you'll know what to watch for.[p]Then get some lump in there, fill to the top of the firebox, (the bottom piece, about 6") Use your torch, or method of choice (no fluid) and get Mr. Egg going. [p]My first test was something simple...chicken wings...cheap, good, and if you torch em....no big loss. I just did wings, so the lowdown is 325-350 for about 45 minutes, direct, flipping every 10-15 minutes. This gives you a chance to break one of the cardinal rules of "Do not open under any circumstances." Hey, it's new...you HAVE to look![p]Depending on how long you allow Mr. Egg to warm up, watch for hot spots where the lump is actually smoldering and flip/rotate your wings away from that spot, as they may want to crisp up more (translation: torch) [p]Godd luck![p]Mike in MN

• Jethro
    Cr,[p]Yeah the only hunch I have on the silicon is it makes the ring stick better to the base and dome while not creating a true adhesive bond.[p]Now the draft door and firebox opening that one makes sense - even to me.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• BBQBluesStringer,[p]CR is right on track. You will have more problems with the stand. You have to bolt it together loosely then tighten up. The diagrams look funny but if you match the pattern on the three pieces for the legs you will do fine,[p]On the silicon question. My BGE purchased in Feb. talked about it but did not include silicon for the band. In the center of the top band there is a hole for the band to line up on, kind of a nub. As CR said make sure you put the screws on the bottom band in for you attachment point for the tables.[p]Tighten the band screw till they just about bend on the top and bottom. Only then should you loosen the clip holding the bands together. It has the warning tag on the screws in orange.[p]The front of the firebox on the bottom needs to be positioned so that the cave opening lines up with the center of the air vent on the bottom.[p]Your gonna love it.

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    BBQBluesStringer,
    Tell that wife that if you cant use the truck then shes eating outa a can!

• Jethro,
    I SPENT THE WEEKEND IN SPRINGFIELD MISSOURI AT A BBQ COMPETITION AND I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO SPEAK WITH AN INDIVIDUAL FROM A BGE DISTRIBUTOR. I ASKED THE SAME QUESTION AND HE TOLD ME THAT IT HAD TO DO WITH HOW THE EGG WAS MADE SO THAT THE EGG COULD BE REMOVED FROM THE MOLD EASILY. THEY TAPERED THE EDGE OF THE EGG TO BE ABLE TO GET IT OUT OF THE MOLD. THEY HAVE SINCE CHANGED THE DESIGN AND THE EGG IS NO LONGER MADE THAT WAY AND THE EDGE IS NOW MADE FLAT. BECAUSE OF THIS, THERE IS NO LONGER A NEED TO USE SILICON WHEN ASSEMBLING THE EGG. THIS EXPLAINS WHY THE EGG IS NOW SHIPPED WITH OUT ANY SILICON TO USE WHEN ASSEMBLING. HOPE THIS HELPS. BY THE WAY, WE GOT A FIRST PLACE IN PORK. PORK FAT RULES!!!!

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]With all due respect, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of help here, my dealer does NOT allow owners to assemble their own Eggs. There are a couple of reasons for this, the biggest being the dome falling off if it's not put on properly, and promptly breaking. He doesn't charge extra for this (Bless him -- he said he'd rather "eat" the cost than bear the bad will). Right now I doubt you have that option, but if you do I'd let the Eggsperts assembly Humpty for you.[p]Good luck and twist the bolts till they bend. Someone else'll tell you this, but DO it![p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Jethro
    BUCKEYE911,[p]Eggsellent, congratulations on your success. Any tips you care to share with the rest of us?[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• Went together like a charm! Thanks for all your suggestions! I heard ya'll on the first cook topic, so I did a couple of hamburgers first time thinking there would be no great loss if I incinerated them. I brought it up to 350 and cooked 'em medium rare according to the instant read thermometer. They were perfect! Can't wait to get home and fire up a couple of NY strips for dinner tonight. I feel a good pork pull comin' on this weekend...[p]BBS

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    BBQBluesStringer, check those bolts after a few days (and then periodically after that). Like someone else said, they should be tightened until the bolts bend. But you DO NOT WANT the bolts to get too loose because the dome can come off and DrBBQ will want to get a picture of it. :-)