Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Sunday and the welcomed in-laws (final answer?)

Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, the wife has me convinced that I should cook a 7-8 pound turkey breast on the egg for Easter Sunday. (of course, they are HER parents so the convincing was ... well convincing!)[p]Now comes the challenge. I have never cooked a turkey or a turkey breast. Not on the egg - not in an oven - never. Uh oh![p]At least I have a medium egg. Whew!!![p]Can someone now help with cooking temps, set ups, turkey temp at completion, marinade/brine/injection suggestions, etc.[p]I have the following to help: Medium Egg, wood chunks (cherry, apple, hickory & oak), plate setter, V Rack, pizza stone, extra grid with 4" bolt for a raised grid, polder & thermopen (lime green one)[p]How do I make it all work and come together. After the last dinner cooked on the egg for the in-laws, they think I actually know how to cook ( SUCKERS ). It's the egg; not me.[p]I appreciate your help, advice & suggestions all in advance.[p]Banker John

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    turkeybreast.jpg
    <p />Banker John,
    Keep it simple. This is only a 5lb. breast but I had onion and apples in the cavity.
    No smoke in my opinion. The lump will give you enough. Poultry takes on a lot of smoke. I also do these the beer butt thing and have turned out great.
    The V-Rack would work good.
    I haven't done one for some time. 350 for about 2 hours?[p]CWM

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Banker John, just to dull the pain of the in-laws, I might also have a half-liter of Wild Turkey opened and ready to go. Trapeze artists do not work without a net....likewise, you should not invite over the in-laws without something to catch your arse in the event something slips. In all candor, skip the wood chips....the bird will get plenty of smoke from your MGE.

• convert
    convert Posts: 13
    Banker John, I have done three turkey breasts and all have turned out juicy,tender and full of flavor.. First the brine..[p]1 Gal water
    3/4 cup kosher salt
    1/2 cup honey
    splash of wine vinegar or white vinegar
    seasoning of your choice. Mine Lawrys perfect blend... Heat on the stove..Do not boil.. let cool and add turkey
    Brine 24 hrs
    rinse and dry then season with same seasoning you used in the brine.
    Wood...Adler not to intense
    cook @ 325 indirect with water in the drip pan to your desired poultry setting..Don't try to use the dripping for gravy...Abit too smokey..
    you may want to go with less honey to avoid a burnt skin but I always take the skin off and enjoy the meat...Convert

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Banker John,
    I've done turkey breasts with and without brining. If you have never brined anything before, it is simple to do if you follow a few simple instructions. You could brine the breast for 12 hours or so and make sure the brine is cold before you put the breast in. You don't want the breast sitting in warm water too long and encourage bacterial growth. If you haven't brined before and don't want to try something new on the in-laws, then don't worry about it. Your turkey breast will be most delicious even if you don't brine. [p]I usually keep it simple for turkey breasts. I use a little olive oil and Montreal Steak Seasoning. I use a little bit of smoke, I like more than the lump will provide, but not too much. If in doubt, less is better than more.[p]I cook indirect over a drip pan. Remember, when you are roasting something in the egg, the egg is an oven, so cook the same as you do in an oven when it comes to time/temp. Turkey usually goes at 325 for 15-20 minutes a pound. Use a thermometer and cook the breast until the internal temp is where you like it, probably 160 if you take the breast off and let it rest.[p]Good luck. I can taste that turkey breast now![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Banker John, I was asked to do the same and I have decided against turkey this year. Too much work and not enough mouths to eat all that meat. No leftovers this year..no sir. But, in order to satisfy the folks who have been so gracious to visit this weekend, I have opted to roast cornish game hens and serve them as individual "turkeys". (Joel, insert your cornish game hen picture here) Joel originally inspired me to cook these and they look great plated individually. Just a suggestion. Good luck on whatever you decide. Mac