Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza Results

Options
dublin
dublin Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
WOW!!!! So fast, easy and fun to make. 99% perfect.
I heated the stone up to 550* for 15 Minutes placed pizza on srone and cooked for 12 / 15 minutes it was wonderfull.[p]I bought the dough from a pizza shop for $2.25 added sauce,Onion, Garlic, Tomotos, Than Mozzarella and Chedar Cheese followed by Sweet Italian sausage.[p]The only problem was getting the pizza onto the stone with a peel.
Got it on but it wasen't quite round. I used cardboard to put it on and take it off, taking it off the stone was a breeze.
Thx goes out to Kennyg, SteveO and Bluesmoke I took advice from all of u.
BTW where can one pick up a peel???
Thx
dublin

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    peel.jpg
    <p />dublin,[p]Congrads on the pizza. [p]You can get a nice peel at the link below for under $10. The wooden one in the picture came from them and it has a short handle (no need for a 3' handle as it just gets in the way). Getting the pie to slide easily on the peel before taking it to the cooker is key. I add a little flour to the peel and some cornmeal and never "make" the pie on the peel or it wants to stick on it. Good idea about buying the dough from a pizza shop.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Katom.com[/ul]
  • AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    dublin,
    You had what I believe is the most common problem of making a pizza. It's also one of the easiest to correct. Be sure to use ample cornmeal on your peel and give it a shake after every other topping you put on. Nothing worse than trying to slide a loaded pie onto the Egg and she won't budge.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    dublin,
    You can make your own peel if you have tools and the inclination. I've posted a link to my webpage below where I have a "Build It" section that has instructions. Otherwise, find a restaurant supply store and they should have one. [p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Website[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    dublin,
    I'm going to suggest a little different approach from Andy's. I use flour - lots of flour - on my peel and use corn meal only on the pizza stone. In my experience, pizzas slide off the peel easier with flour instead of with corn meal. You should be able to pick up wood or metal pizza peels at a kitchen supply store.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    pizza3.jpg
    <p />dublin,[p]Congrats![p]Target Stores sell this 12" peel with the "Italian Villa" brand name for under $10. I also have a 14 incher from Williams-Sonoma.[p]As suggested, don't forget the corn meal and the frequent shake while crafting the pie.[p]K~G

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    dublin,
    Congratulations! Just glad to have been of some small help. I didn't mention ground lamb for the topping - I love it.[p]Ken

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Aahhh Andy, "nothing worse than"?[p]How about after you have pulled the perfect hot pie off the egg and as you turn to walk in the house and your focus is getting it on the table to share with the family, you INSTANTLY realize that the sliding glass door is only cracked open and not open enough to get the peel through.[p]Oh yeah - you should see the stain on my back porch floor! [p]I laugh now, but it was NOT funny when it happened. In retro spect, I would much rather have a pie stick on the beginning of the cook rather than the DUMP at the end![p]Banker John
  • AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    Banker John,
    Or how about when your deep dish pizza is done setting up and you think your going to be cool by tranferring it from one counter to the other using just a grill gripper only to find out you miscalculated and its too heavy. PLOP! Oh yeah, that's pain my friend.

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Options
    Tim M,
    what size is the wooden peel in the picture???
    Thx
    dublin