Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Egg

Options
Nucman
Nucman Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my LBGE last week. I am already wanting another. I can't stand the fact of tying up my egg for a long cook. I want to get another so that I will still be able to cook something quick while I have something slow going. Would I be better off getting a small or a medium to go with my large. I don't think I'm being too rediculous wanting another egg so soon because I've noticed that quite a few of you Guys have multiple eggs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I did some chicken breasts tonight for fajitas and they were GREAT! I can't wait to get home tomorrow night to cook again. I don't know what I'm going to do yet but I'll figure it out before I retire for the night.

Thanks,
The Nucman
Baton Rouge, LA

Comments

• JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    that's a loaded question.. I got a medium to complement my large, and it works out great. I don't think you can go wrong with any size you choose. Good luck with your decision.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Nucman,

IMHO the large/large combination is the most versatile. Not that there is anything wrong wih any of the others, just that with those two you have unlimited capability. Then get a mini!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I got my large in april with in a month I was seeing a need for a small for side dishes. I have not been able to convince my better half though.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Get a small. It is more portable than the medium and is a nice compliment to the large. Oh yeah, it's cheaper too.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Love my large/ small combo.

Walt
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    Unless you plan on hauling your second egg around, get the medium. I have both the large and medium and am quite happy with that combination.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    So far:

L-L 1
    L-M 2
    L-S 1 (and 1 wanting)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Nucman,

I've got three now (I know, I must face this problem straight up!) Started out with the LBGE, and added the SBGE a few months later for exactly the same reasons--I wanted to be able to cook multiple dishes at different temps. Of course, I could have used the old kettle or perhaps the gasser. But, there is just something really different about food cooked on the egg. I've since added another LBGE. Was going to go XL, but thought about it again and went with a Large because I already had lots of accessories for that size.

Hope that helps with your decision...
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I have the large/small combo and love it.
  • BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    I have three (in order) L, XL, S. The XL is not used often but when used is a real horse. The large is my everyday unit. If I am doing appetizers and a main course at the same time, then the small is used. Rarely is the small used alone.

If I were starting over, my second egg would be a L. The issue that the accessories are compatible is important and it really is the most versatile. Additionally, the L uses "used lump" better than the small (IMHO) and is clearly efficient in operation, even if it is bigger than the S. But if the truth is known, my fourth will be a L!

BillT
  • Martyr82
    Options
    I too have the large/large combo. I was good choice for me as I have MANY dollars invested in extras that work with both my EGGS. Now I am looking forward to getting the mini.

Marty
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Two of us so the Large Mini combo works for us.
    Most cooks on the mini for us. Will fire up the large when company comes over. The mini is the protein cooker for our meals and becomes the veggie side dish cooker for company feast.
    E
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    I got two larges from the start for that exact reason. Was going to go large/med combo but wife went shopping with me the day I picked them and she said large/large because she thought the med grill was to small.

I like the fact that all the accessories are interchangeable between the two. I do find myself thinking about getting a small in the distant future.
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    There are other links on this question so you might want to do a search or two.

Go with Medium unless you plan to use it as a travel grill. Then go w/ Small or Mini

It is normal to want another BGE.
  • Grillin Guy
    Options
    I like the large/small/medium combo. Seems to work well and I can always use one of the other grills if it's not enough.

IMG_0101.jpg
  • Grillin Guy
    Options
    Oops.. meant large/small/mini
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Terry,I really like your set-up,well,everything that's green at least :lol: I thought that you're medium looked a lot like my mini :laugh: :lol: Maybe I'll get a large one of these day's :whistle: I've got all the other eggs and really enjoy them all(when I can) :whistle: I think that Nucman will be happy with any of them :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Pretty hard to answer not knowing your cooking needs.

I ended up getting all from large and down.

Most of the time I am cooking for my wife an I. A couple of times a week we have 1 to 3 pre-teen grand kids over and the mini works great for all those type cooks.

1 large will do well for the family get together's 25 now.

After getting all 4 eggs if I were to do it all over again, I think I would get 2 larges and mini. I wouldn't have to deal with 3 different plate setters and needed additional size grids.

I use the mini the most followed by the large. I haven't paid close attention but after getting the mini and mostly using it, I think I have cut my lump consumption by 50 to 60 percent. I have egged meals just as much as I did before.

GG
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    (I know, I must face this problem straight up!)
    :laugh: :laugh: Is there a vaccine for this??? Been feeling that strong urge for the past 6 weeks--since got #1 LBGE as well :woohoo:
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    Options
    How much are the smalls and the minis?
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    Grilling Guy,

Nice Photo and set up