Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aged Prime Rib Question

Options
Kew_el_steve
Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've searched the forum and can't seem to get a clear answer to a couple questions in my mind. So, looking for opinions from the cult members.

Just before New Years, I bought a whole 7-rib (ribs removed) prime rib from Sam's. I cut off a 3-rib portion and made that for New Year's and it was fabulous. The remaining portion I have had dry aging as previously described in the forum. The deep ruby-red color and smell are magnificent! I would like to cut off two 1-1/2 to 2" thick pieces off the end to have for rib-eyes (Trex'd) in the future, and the rest as a roast on Sunday. The outer of the meat is hard/waxy per typical dry-aged.

1) Any special surface preperation for the steaks? Cut off the outer layer? One whole side of one steak will be hard. Don't know how that hard layer would do Trex'd.

2) Same basic question for the roast. Remove any outerlayer, or leave it? Usually put a light slather of yellow mustard and salt, pepper, and granulated Garlic at 225-250 until med-rare and turn up the temp at the end to make bark.

Opinions appreciated on any surface prep for 24-day dry-aged? This thing smells wonderful right now, will definately do this again.

Comments

• mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    Options
    I just did something similar to this, do a search for my name (I don't have a lot of posts), or search for "dry aged steak...myself"

To your questions:
    1. If you don't cut off the outer layer, and if you use it for a steak, yes, it will be tough and it will add a very dark or deep aroma to the steak. Versus a fresh, clean smell. It isn't bad, just not what I prefer.

If you left it on during a roast, I'm not sure what would happen...but you wouldn't get the excellent end piece so many people crave. I am guessing it would still be tough.

So, to answer your question directly, I don't know of any special treatment, other than the typical EVOO and rub or salt and pepper.

But, I'm never going to cook with the dry portion left on.

2. The consensus from the replies I received was to cut off a thin outer layer.

Good Luck.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Slice off a thin piece and finish making dried beef from it. Cook the rest as you wish. You may have to slice off a couple thin slices.
    E
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    trim minimally.

for a steak, the ONLY thing you'll ever see trimmed from a professionally prepared aged roast or steak is any dry/leathery pieces that hang off, or anything moldy (which likely won't happen in a home fridge).

for a roast, the exposed ends will become overly dry. the flesh uncovered by fat can shrink and toughen (the cut ends), and you might want to trim that off depending on how long it aged. after about five days, i'd trim the ends off.

but don't skin the thing in an effort to uncover a brand new roast underneath the old one...

for what it's worth, the outer edges of a steak are what anyone who likes dry-aged will go for. that darker brown, the crispiness of the denser fat. ... can't be beat.

trim minimally...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stan
    stan Posts: 51
    Options
    I love the concentrated flavor of the dried ends. I never trim. I cook the sear the steaks on both sides for a nice crust, then pull it off at rare, leading to medium rare. Season with a good salt and fresh ground pepper and a couple of pats of butter.