Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Smoke: Brisket !?!?!?!!

Seidegger
Seidegger Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I have decided the best way to feed alot of people for the Superbowl and have relatively little work to do before serving (during the game) is to do a long smoke on a brisket.

$ Per lb. is reasonable and some of my guests will not eat pork so I am limited.

This is my first smoke...too aggressive? any tips? recipes? suggestions?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    How much per pound?

Brisket
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i would cook it under a pork butt using a raised grid for the butt. i like to serve both and its a shame to do a cook that long and not have the egg filled. i coat mine with a a little sugar and wrap it in syran for 6 hours or so, then wipe off and add a peppery rub and some mustard and cook 235 at the grill level til done. fat down over a drip pan and get a big piece, not a couple little pieces
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    He said that he has some guests that do not eat pork. Cooking the brisket under the pork butt would have the fat from the pork dripping on the brisket.

Seidegger, you should check out this site:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

I learned a lot about cooking brisket from what is there. The rest of the site is equally useful.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i still would find a way to get the butt in there even if i couldnt let it drip on the beef for those guests that do like pork. i believe this is a first low and slow for him on an egg and im not sure if he ever did one on any other cooker, brisket can be tricky for a first cook. i believe madmax has a passover brisket recipe that would be much easier for a first big cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If you want to avoid the difficulty of brisket, let me suggest a beef top round. They are usually good sized. Because they don't have a lot of fat, its better to cook them no more than medium, then slice thin. The slices go well on sandwiches. They are usually 4-5 pounds. Takes about 1/2 hour/lb at 350. They are fairly bland, so a good sauce and rub is a plus.

However, a good brisket really makes a better meal. If you've had some experience with lo-n-slo, the results should at least be pretty good. Can always be finished in the oven with foil to guarantee tenderness.
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Seidegger, go for the brisket! Very rarely do you see someone on here really mess one up. And in the case you do mess it up you can chop it up and put it in bbq sauce and make beef sandwiches out of it. I can go over how I do brisket with you on Sat morning if you want, how to light the egg for a long cook, etc.
  • Thanks Scott, greatly appreciated...as of now, its just me, my egg, my Costco brisket, and my Thermapen (thanks Monica)...

I think it can be done...