Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

setting temp

Options
Inksmyth
Inksmyth Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have struggled with this over and over.
Here is what I do on my XL.
Fill to top of firebox or fire ring, depending on cook.
Open bottom vent all the way and light lump. When lump is started well, I close the lid and open daisy wheel and slider all the way. Now this is where my question lies. When I am ramping down the vents to get to the proper temp, when should I see a difference in the reading? It seem like I see saw alot. If I set to the approx opening of the temp I want right off, The temp drops below and takes forever to get back up. If I try to adjust slowly, in stages the temp keeps climbing. I guess what I need to know is how long does it take an adjustment to affect the temp? How long should I watch the thermo rise or fall until I readjust? I just have one hell of a time getting stable temps where I want them. Took over an hour yesterday to get stable at 230. What am I doing wrong guys? Help!

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I use a weed burner and light in three places leave lid open for 15-20 minutes and then close and start to damper down as I get close to my target temp. It's kinda like watching a pot when boiling water, If I stay and watch takes a long time. I have the same problems if I just walk away and check in 15 minutes.
    Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    its much easier to work your way up to temp verse down to temp. reason being is that you created a bigger fire than needed, even if you close the vents you will still have more lump burning than nesessary. dont be so concerned with exact temps either or you will be seasawing all night, food can be cooked at a lot of different temps, for the most part plus or minus 25 degrees doesnt effect the cook all that much. when im cooking a butt overnight i might shoot for 250 cook temp, then go set the maverick at 285 high alarm and 190 low alarm and not care until the alarm goes off, toward the end of the cook you migh have to pay more attention, but it always comes out fine. and sometimes the egg doesnt want to cook at your exact temp anyways :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    For a rib cook yesterday.

One starter cube in the middle of the lump and lit, bottom vent wide open, dome open until cube quits burning. Less than 10 minutes.

Plate setter added and dome shut til about 15 minutes elapsed time.

Daisy wheel added and set to desired opening for cook along with bottom vent. 30 minutes elapsed time and BGE is steady at 240* or whatever desired opening is set for.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Gunnar wrote:
    One starter cube in the middle of the lump and lit, ...

You might want to read "Pork Butt: FAIL" below.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Interesting...knock on wood I've never had a center burn. On a slow cook like yesterday I probably went a little longer than 30 minutes before putting the meat on and I keep an eye on it for the first hour. Thanks.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    I also have an XL and the biggest learning curve on it is definitely getting stable temps. I think the biggest issue is the surface area of lump that it accomodates. Just when you think you are creeping up on a temperature you get a big overshoot. I usually light in 2 or 3 places, let it burn for 5 minutes, then put in all the pieces that will be used for a cook, like platesetter, close it up and adjust the bottom damper and daisy wheel for my target temp. For most temps, this usually takes me 20-25 minutes to reach. Usually only takes a small adjustment after that.

I find it takes about 10 minutes to stabilize after making a change once I'm in the target temp range. If I make adjustments prior to that, I'm just chasing my tail. Patience has made my life easier in this regard.

I'm sure you've experienced this, but just remember that the XL is very easy to make hotter, and a bear to make cooler.
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    Thanks. I think you are the only one that read the question completely. I am cooking tonite. I will try 10 min intervals after each adjustment. I think that is the problem. I have been not been waiting lone enough.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    i find my temp seem to spike about 1.5-2 hours into cook... :S :S any suggestions?
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    I have a large and I generally leave all the dampers wide open until I get to temp. then I have an idea where they are going to be for that cook. I put them close and see if the temp. drops. Usually it continues to climb up a little and I let it. When it is about 15° over I shut them down more and let it stabilize for 10 to 15 min.

Sounds funny but I found if you shut them down right at your temp. It always seems to drop. By gong over slightly I get less bounce in the temp.

Also look at the vents underneath and make sure the holes are not clogged. If they are you will have a hard time climbing up and then when you shut it down to what you think it should be it will drop off.