Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Superbowl Ideas...NEW EGG!!!

Seidegger
Seidegger Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everybody, I get my new egg delivered this coming weekend, and have one week to practice before a Superbowl party I am hosting. What would be a good, safe/easy, and relatively inexpensive cook for about 20 people for a rookie? Any ideas? Any recipes?

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    burgers :woohoo:

Pulled pork is not too hard....I set an alarm and get up every couple hours to check things.

ABTs are a party hit and easy as pie
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Stuffed fatties! They are very forgiving, and will allow you to "play" with the temps with no ill effect on the food. Use a drip pan! Take pics too.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    moink balls, they can be prepped the day before and cook quick. pulled pork. kielbasi sliced the long way, stuff the slit with a thin slice of cheddar cheese and top with well drained sourkrout. cook just till hot and cheese is soft. slice into bit size pieces. mmmm, mmmm good :)
    and the pics below: buy a package of frozen bread dough. flatten each loaf into a rough circle and brush with evo and sea salt and pepper. dried rosemary or herbs of your choice. bake on the egg indirect till golden brown. for the tomaoes:
    First grate 4 garlic cloves in a small bowl and cover with about 1/2 cup EVO. this needs to set for about 1/2 hour at least to really flavor the oil. now chop about 1 cut of feta or use the crumbled from the store. Chop about 10 fresh basil leaves up and mix in with the feta. Then I used two boxes of grape tomatoes, sliced the long way and put in a shallow egg proof dish. A cast skillet is perfect. sprinkle with fresh ground pepper. after the garlic and oil has set pour over the tomatoes and toss. egg at about 350-375 indirect, till well cooked. about 30-40 minutes. now cover with the feta and basil and let sit for about 15 minutes to breath. it does not really look like much but it is flavor packed!
    Picture802Small.jpg
    Picture803Small.jpg
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Anything you make will be great!!! Fattie or Boston Butt will be very easy. Here is a great link for fatties:

http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/fatty/fattys.htm

Good luck.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    would definatly go with the pulled pork and have it ready about 4 hours ahaead of time so that you can make some appetizers if you want. i dont like to cook during the game so having it ready and waiting is always in my plans.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Pork tenderloins. They are easy and fast to cook. Use several types of rubs and marinades and you will have something that appeals to everyone. ABTs and cold beer should be considered a must for this event. You could always have some burger patties nicely seasoned and ready for those that just can't get enough to eat.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    We do an appetizer contest each Superbowl. Last year I won with short ribs.

For the marinade, either do a web search for Korean short ribs, or just combine one cup of Soy Sauce, one cup of sugar, some garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes to taste. You might also add some sriracha (Asian hot sauce).

The meat is the key. Ask a butcher to cut you some at least 1/2" thick short ribs across the bone. Thicker the better, but I wouldn't go over an inch. Remember, beef comes in grades...the higher the grade, the better the end result.

Smoke them at 250 like you would regular baby backs.

The best part is these are great hot or cold. Once you get them done, just wrap in foil until it's time to eat.

We were chewing on them all game and after last year.

Now I have to figure out how I will top last year so I can win back to back.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    My first cook was believe it or not a brisket. It came out perfect. Only had a maverick, hadn't even heard of a guru or stoker at the time. It was a big hit. It's also a great way to break in the new egg.
  • Definitely a pork butt. Plan on having it done with plenty of time to spare before the game so you don't have to worry about it. Keeps warm easily in an insulated cooler. Prepare some ABTs the night before and throw them on the egg so they are ready as people start arriving. Great way to introduce them to egg cooking. ABTs and ice cold beer. Doesn't get much better than that.