Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My virgin smoke

xrayjdm
xrayjdm Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I may have been a bit too aggresive with the first use of my BGE. After following the very helpful advise from people on this forum I made a make-shift plate setter and purchased a 19lb boston butt. After about an hour I was able to maintain a temp of about 225 degrees and put the Dizzy Pig rubbed pork in at about 8pm for a 18 to 20 hour smoke. I checked the temp every 15 minutes for the first 3 hour becuase I was nervous about the temp outside( I'm in Boston and it was in the single digits last night). At 2am the temp was still in the low 200's so I decided to relax and get some sleep. I woke at 5am and had to check the temp or I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. Still 200 but the temp had gone down a bit. I allowed a bit more air flow to raise the temp and went back to sleep. My wife woke me at 8am to tell me that she couldn't see any smoke. I ran out to find that the temp was down to 100 degrees. After many attempts to raise the temp I am now finishing it in my oven. :(
The meat smelled and looked fantastic.
I'm frustrated that after nursing this thing all night it would have failed me if I had slep longer. Had plenty of charcoal :unsure:

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    One tip to try in the future is to let the egg stabilize for about half an hour or so before putting the butt in it. Also I am for 250 dome temp as my egg likes it better and that translates to grate temp of 225 so I have been told :) If you haven't checked this site out it is very useful about cooking the butt. The first butt I did I stayed up with it like a newborn baby. After that I learned to let the egg do its thing.

Here is the link:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    It is a rare occasion you should try to hold temps under 250* dome temp.

When you got up and the temp was around 200, chances are your fire was already snuffed and the egg was just holding heat, slowly dropping.
  • xrayjdm
    Thanks for the response.
    I did let the egg stabalize though...for over a half hour. I had a tough time maintaining a low temp at first. Question to you...Had I let the egg do it's thing wouldn't the temp continue to drop after maintaining a fairly consistant 200-225? Did I just panic in your opinion? Right now I'm sleep deprived and cranky because I think I paid attention to every detail and the egg failed me.
  • xrayjdm
    Maybe. I got the recipe and directions from the BGE website. It said a temp of 230. I had it at 200-225 for hours. I'll keep it higher next time. Thanks
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    I don't have egg-sperience with cooking below 250 dome temp... I have heard it is hard for the egg to maintain that without the fire going out. My dual function metal top and door are barely cracked at that to maintain 250. I am afraid if you got any ash accumulation at the temp you are talking about it would be fatal IMHO. However, some one that has a Guru or a DIGI could probably do the temps you are talking about becuse it is fan controlled ;) Hope this helps you.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    xrayjdm,

I think you nailed when you said you were too aggressive for the first use. Egging is really easy but you need to give yourself time to learn the differences from other cookers. Butt is a forgiving meat but long cooks take a while to get used too. I would suggest trying ribs. They are a semi long cook but you don't lose any sleep.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Only other thought is that it's ok to put 10 lbs of lump in a large, and roll with it!!! Should have gone longer. Good luck next time!
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    I have always been curious as to why sooooooooooo many people try to run their lo and slos at 225°-230°, I had no idea that it was on the website :angry:

Just follow the good advice that you've already received and go with 250° dome going forward. I don't use a Guru or any other fan assistance and my eggs do so well at that temp that I can sleep pretty comfortably for 6-7 hrs without fear that it'll hold the entire time.

Did you say a 19lb butt?
  • Dome temp is at least 25 degrees hotter than grill temp, so if your dome thermo is showing 250 your meat is bathing in 225 heat. Plus, an egg rolls along at 250 very well. 225 is not nearly as easy to maintain.
  • xrayjdm
    The recipe was the first for Boston Butt I found on the website (Competition Boston Butt). Who am I to question at this point you know.
    Nowhere had I read in all of the literature provided with the BGE that dome temp is off by 25 degrees. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, it was almost 20lbs. Finished off well enough in the oven.