Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin Help

Options
Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The grocer talked me into two 10oz. beef tenderloins for tonight's cook. I have T rexed and/or cooked about every other steak, but never this. Can I T-Rex or are there better options. I do have the adjustable rig and spider (thanks to Christmas and my wife).

Thanks in advance.

RawonPlate.jpg

RawwithTape.jpg

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Iowa State Egger,

How do you like your meat cooked? They are beautiful and they are screaming hot tub me hot tub me.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Iowa State Egger
    Options
    That's a great idea. We do have the hot tub in the arsenol and we have only tried it once (with sirloin). It didn't come out as well as we would have liked, but it was a windy day and I couldn't get the BGE above 500 degrees. We won't have the problem tonight.

Thanks for the advice - I assume HT for an hour and then sear?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Dave,

That's what I would do. I have never cooked tenderloin steaks that thick but I am just imagining the cross section photo with a good sear. I'm going to the butcher in the morning.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Dave,

Just a thought. You are probably missing part of an arm and leg after paying for those. I usually do the hot tub in a vacuum seal bag. I set it to vacuum and press manual seal before it squeezes the meat too much. Hate to have a bad foodsaver bag and ruin them.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    Options
    I cook my 8 oz tenderloins at 500 grate temp for about 5 min per side. Come off at 125 deg rare to med rare. By the way I grew up in your town. Go East High Scarlets.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    HI Dave,
    Those filets are fantastic! How did they turn out and were there leftovers??? You boys from Iowa sure can eat!!
    By the way, I saw your Iowa pictures of your stadium and your lake from a later post. Showed it to my boyfriend who is from Iowa and lived in Des Moines for 11 years. He wants to know what lake you pictured. It sure looks nice there. (He attended University of Iowa but he still wants to know!) Your boys are darling.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini