Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt at Beef Back Ribs

Options
Shiff
Shiff Posts: 1,835
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I didn't let today's cold weather (7 degrees at 9:00 AM) deter me from my plan to cook some Beef Ribs for the first time.

I want to thank Thirdeye for his description and suggestions on cooking great ribs. They really came out great. They were extremely tender - I did put them in foil with some broth for about a half hour at the 4 hour mark, but I really don't think that was necessary since they were very tender already at that time. I took them out of the foil and put them back in the rack for another half hour and then it was time to eat.

I used some DP "Raising the Steaks'

Here's how they looked when they went in the BGE
DSC04377.jpg

At the 3 hour mark
DSC04381.jpg

and finally done at 5 hours
DSC04385.jpg

Luckily there are plenty left over for tomorrow.

Barry
Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Barry, dem ribs look fine. I love beef ribs, just did my first ones a couple weeks ago.
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Barry,
    Those look really good. I haven't tried any kind of beef ribs yet. Gonna work on some babybacks tomorrow :cheer:
    Is it as warm :huh: in Lancaster Co. as it is over here in Berks County?
    Brian
  • big hound
    big hound Posts: 103
    Options
    One of my favorites to do on the Egg. Got to make sure they're really meaty or they're just not worth it. When done I cut out every other bone so that each rib is double thick with a lot of meaty goodness... I think I've just talked myself into taking some prime ones out of the freezer
  • Shiff
    Options
    When I cooked the ribs it was 7 degrees at the beginning and went all the way up to 17 by the time they were done.

This morning it is 3 degrees, but is supposed to soar all the way up to 20 later.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff
    Options
    The ribs I cooked were quite meaty - they were from a local market called Stauffers. I hope they keep selling ribs like these because I want to cook some again. I'll have to compliment the butchers when I next go in.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA