Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Purchase likely 1/18/09

Options
HouHeights
HouHeights Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all, I've been considering purchasing a BGE for awhile now after hearing nothing but great things. My cheap Lowe's grill just gave out this last weekend, so the timing of this purchase has already been dictated to me.

I just found this forum today and have found some really helpful information. From what I can tell, you guys are really really "enthusiastic" about your BGE's. That's a good thing, as it makes me feel more comfortable with what will be a pretty pricey trip to John Henry's here in Houston tomorrow. I've called, they have them in stock.

I'll probably have a lot more questions to come in the future, but I guess the most pressing question would be what accessories are "must haves" at first. I'm assuming the nest will be top on the list. I don't have a table or anything like that, yet. I guess what I'm asking, what can I get by with for just the short term until I can figure out exactly what else I might want to add down the road. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Platesetter
    BGE Pizza/baking stone
    Thermapen
    Hi heat gloves

+ much, much, more

search "must haves" to see many more possibilities

& Happy Egging.... :silly:
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    You can always get by with just what it comes with...

plate setter for indirect (other ways to do this but if you have the money get it), and If you don't have a good place to put the egg maybe the nest and side tables.
    Get some wood chunks and lump while your there.
  • just don't make the same mistake as me, duh:
    using a pair of not-enough-heat-resistant leather gloves to pick up the heated platsetter, and ended up frying the felt gasket when I rested the platesetter on it in panic :(
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    "must have" means different things to some folks. hahaha

i went a year or two just buying the egg as-is (the daisy abd ceramic cap are not "accessories", they will come with the egg).

i cleaned the ash with an old spatula for a while before getting an ash tool. the platesetter made indirect set-ups easier, but i cooked with a home-made raised grid for a while using a drip pan or bricks to make for an indirect set up (which is what the platesetter gives you).

i think the biggest improvement in my skillz came with getting a thermapen instead-read thermometer. best accessory i ever got, but it's non-BGE. need to get it online at the thermoworks.com, or by sweet-talking mollyshark here on the forum to let you go in on a volume discount next time she orders a batch.

a grid gripper is not a bad accessory, but you can live without that, too.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    HouHeights,

I have seen many pics where folks just set the egg on a patio stone or patio with the feet that come with it. This wouldn't work well where there was a lot of snow but you would be OK. The platesetter opens up a world of cooking options and it will serve as a pizza stone. Just wrap it in aluminum foil for greasy cooks. Try and get the store to throw it in. It's not traditional buy a barbeque time of year and people in most businesses are trying to get rid of inventory right now

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• emt_24
    emt_24 Posts: 94
    Options
    if they have them get a platesetter. Thats the one piece that gives you most flexibility out of the egg. As stike said, you can rig a lot of stuff on your own. For instance, my raised grid setup is 4 firebricks resting on the porcelain grid with a smaller grid laid between the two of them.
  • Revolution
    Options
    If you could only add one item, it would have to be a plate setter.

Welcome to the group.

-Charlie
  • i did as stike did..
    when i bought my egg [at a fest] i shadowed a competition egger for the whole day,, his advice "buy a thermopen" i did and it made me a better cook, egg or not.
    i did not get the must haves for 2 years and was happy.
    my first eggcessory [a year after i got the large] was a mini B)
  • HouHeights
    Options
    Thanks all for the quick and helpful replies. I'm thinking now I may not need to get the nest. I have a large brick patio behind our outdoor fireplace that should allow this to sit nicely with legs it comes with. Sounds like a platesetter is a must have, will look at getting that as well as a thermapen. Oh yea, and gloves. New toys, I can't wait!!! Thanks again.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Welcome HouHeights! If you have been following the forum you now realize what a great "new" family you have. Any time you have a question, please ask. Spring Chicken and I will be glad to come by and show you anything you need or you are welcome to come to Spring to the Chicken Ranch and set a spell....
    Spring "north of the Heights" Hen
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you are considering a table down the road, the nest would be something of a waste. However, a nest with the Egg mates "wings" would certainly be very handy.

Altho the platestter is pretty much a must have, I find I use a grill extender or my own home made raised grill a lot more often, with just a drip pan to shield the food from direct heat from the coals,

Once I started lighting the Egg with a weed burner, I pretty much stopped every other way, altho I do use the simple paper towel and dribble of oil for a starter when I run low on gas.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Welcome... There's always room for another Egghead, especially in Houston.

Spring Hen has already offered to help get you started but here's a couple of start off tips. Be sure to calibrate your dome thermometer to 212°. That way you won't be surprised with too much or too little heat on your first few cooks. Calibration is easy, just dip the tip of the thermometer into boiling water and if it reads anything other than 212° use a wrench to slightly adjust the nut on the back until it always shows at 212°.

Also important is to avoid high temperature cooks for a while to allow the gaskets to properly seat themselves. Hamburgers, fish, chicken, etc are fine. Just no 750° sears on steak and the like for a few days. In fact, a great first cook is Spatchcocked Chicken http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

It's simple and will give you great results on your first cook.

Another thing to consider is coming to the annual Texas Eggfest in Austin. This year it will probably be held around April 25th at The Oasis on Lake Travis. http://www.oasis-austin.com/

We had a great time last year and this year promises to be even bigger and better.

If you have questions, this Forum is by far the best place to ask them, but you can also count on a lot of Houston area Eggheads. We want your new adventure with the Egg to be fantastic from the start.

Spring "Time To Get Some Sheets In The Wind" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Grillin Guy
    Options
    When I bought my first egg I got the plate setter, the nest and grill lifter and a Poulder. Start with that and work up from there. Once you get settled in visit http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/
    and get to know Tom here on the forum. He's got some quality accessories that are a must have.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i would call tom up directly, his number is on the site and talk to him about the adjustable rig and spider and inderect options before buying the platesetter. infact i would skip the platesetter and nest and get those first. his stuff is top notch.ive been cooking without a nest or platesetter for years and dont seem to miss them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    To add to what Little Steven wrote. I got the dealer to throw in a platesetter for both my large and small eggs. Also got him to throw in the raised grid on the large. We have a great relationship and he refers to me as "The guy that requires two BGE's" I told him he should recommend this to ALL his BGE clients.

Have fun
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Unless you have money running out your ears, you're like most of us who considered the BGE a substantial purchase. It's well worth the money and I (along with all my family and friends) couldn't imagine life without it. With that being said, if I were you I would not get anything at first except the egg, what comes with it, and also a platesetter. Everything else is just going to run your bill up and cause you to be a little more un-easy about your purchase. All the items everyone listed are probably going to end up at your house anyways, but when you start to use your egg you'll feel better about buying it because you will see where it's needed. If you have the patio you were speaking of, then you could definately save the money on the nest as well. You will be in for alot of bending over on your patio, but you could always build you something to set it on. I've seen some guys on here with them just sitting on a stack of blocks. As long as it's stable you're in the clear. That's my thoughts on doing it the saving money way. If you have plenty of money, then let it rip! :woohoo: Hope I helped and enjoy your egg. It's going to be great!!
  • blackgrass
    Options
    I totally agree with buying the gear from Tom...It makes more sense to me. The spider with a pizza stone will do all the plate setter will do and more.

I'm thinking of trying to sell my plate setter and BGE expandable grid.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    If you don't expect to build a table for quite some time, get the nest and side tables. It is no fun squatting down or sitting on your knees cooking. Other than that, you can make do without about everything except a thermo pen..in a pinch there are some other instant reads cheaper to get you by, but you'll want to buy the thermo pen eventually anyway..my dealer thru in the ash tool and grid lifter which are handy and pretty cheap even if you buy them...good luck!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    do you not need somthing under the pizza stone when you are doing pizza? i understand using as a plate setter but not as pizza. thinking you would need the second stone.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    I haven't read the other posts but I would start with a plate setter. Then as you get more cooks under your belt you'll know what would make life easier and what you live without. welcome, Brett B)
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Welcome HouHeights!

I'm inclined to agree with the platesetter and a grill lifter. Even a cheap instant read thermometer, for now, plus the ash tool.Tell everyone Christmas and birthdays are taken up with all of these extra things for some time now. Easy shopping for the family.

I'm also thinking if you have a shop and the ability to build a small table or some such to set the egg in for now, do that. Otherwise, get the nest.

Happy Egging,
  • blackgrass
    Options
    I actually have a couple of pizza stones. I just bought the 14" BGE stone but also have a 15" from another maker. I also have a cast iron pizza pan that is 14" so with the spider set-up I'd have several choices.

I wonder if you couldn't just set up a drip pan under the pizza stone as your indirect piece? I'm not sure if that would work or not.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You have to be correct in that with the spyder and pizza stone (tim pan or extra stone with spacer) you can do without the platesetter....
    that would save a few bucks and do several other things the plate setter could not....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    You mentioned a nest as a must have. One thing that is a must have is some type of prep area, such as a table. You may find that you can get a table that will be at the right height to the egg in a nest. I probably would not buy the mates if I had it to do over again. Instead I would buy/build a table to hold the egg or stand beside it. Just my 2c
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Actually, you can cook a pizza directly on the grid if the interior of the Egg is hot enough. That's the concept behind a brick oven. You build a fire inside the oven and let it warm the mass surrounding the oven cavity. Then you rake out the fire and ashes and start cooking. A good brick oven can cook 30 or more pizzas and twice as many loaves of bread before the heat dissipates. That's one reason I'm thinking of building a wood fired brick oven.

But for everyday cooking any accessory is a good thing to have. The plate setter works well for a lot of applications, as does a number of other accessories.

Spring "Properly Accessorized" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • HouHeights
    Options
    Wow, I don't know what to say. So much great information. So much that will likely make a lot more sense when I get this thing home. I can't possibly thank everyone for their feedback, but know I've reading/digesting everything.

One thing I didn't think of that might change things a little bit is that I have celiac disease. No gluten (wheat,oats,barley or rye) for me. So pizzas will be out for the most part. Anything with flour basically.

I'm definately going to keep it simple to start, and I'll refer back to all the help given here. Thanks again, and I'll be a regular lurker/poster here for sure.

Chris
  • jwr3
    jwr3 Posts: 61
    Options
    And Berings has a decent supply of accessories. As does Sweetwater Pools o Bissonnet. Then run by Pete's Fine Meats on Richmond and you're set!
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    I'd say you need three items as "must haves" to best enjoy your Egg:

(1) Something to let you cook indirect.
    When cooking with the grill directly over the charcoal, the Egg acts more like a grill. If you want your Egg to act more like an oven, you need to diffuse the heat so your food bakes evenly. There are two main ways to do this:
    --with a BGE platesetter, mounted legs-up or legs-down depending on the cook, or
    --with a combination of a "spider" (wire ring that hangs down from the Egg's fire ring), and a pizza stone sitting on the spider.
    Either configuration can be used. The spider offers a bit more versatility down the road, in that it can be used to hold a small cast iron grate down close to the charcoal for easy searing, or you can hold a wok securely within the wire spider ring. Most BGE pizzamakers, however, seem to use the platesetter.

(2) Something to measure temperature.
    Most BGE cooking works better when you cook to an internal temperature instead of cooking for set period of time like an electric range recipe. This means you need a device to measure internal temperature. The Thermapen (by Thermoworks) is the preferred instant-read thermometer among forum users for two reasons:
    --it reads very quickly, which is important when you're trying to measure something that's next to high-temp charcoal, and
    --its narrow probe limits damage to your food.
    It's also reliable and easy to read. If you want to do low-and-slow overnight cooks, where the thermometer is mounted inside the food for the duration of the cook with a cable running to a display outside the BGE, something like a Polder is cheaper (generic equivalents are under $20) and adequate to get started. There are also more expensive wireless versions that broadcast to a display inside your house.

(3) Something to handle hot food and grill pieces
    Gloves are nice. :)

Hopefully you have a digital camera and will soon be posting pictures of your cooks here on the Egghead forum! Good luck, and keep in touch.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Unless Price is no object, just do what Stike did. But get the Ash tool and a Thermapen.

After you're cooking awhile you may find that there's some other things that would help too. But I would wait and see.

I just used a pair of leather work gloves for a long time before I got my welders gloves (which I don't need that often).