Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Healthiest meats to smoke/cook?

Roanokesmoke
Roanokesmoke Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, this might not be a popular post, but I'm looking to find out what are some of the most healthy (in terms of fat%, etc) meats to cook on the BGE. Chicken and Turkey are obvious ones, but are there any others out there that are relatively healthy as well? For example, recently I started experiencing with pork tenderloins, which are known for being lean. I now love tenderloins, especially smoked ones that are finished with a quick sear at the end. Perhaps I'm wasting my time, as meats such as Boston butts and ribs aren't exactly known for their health aspects. But any sort of meat that is at least relatively lean is what I'm looking for. A friend told me that briskets aren't they healthiest, but are a better alternative than most meats, but I'm not sure about that personally.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i dont know if there is an answer to that, seems everything nowadays has problems. processing of chicken is always bad, i think ive tossed more foul smelling poulty over the years than anything. fish seems to be full of toxins. so theres two on the healthy list
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Buffalo, Lamb, Fish, Duck are all good choices.

However, healthy is a relative term. Almost anything in moderation can be "healthy" Furthermore healthy is further defined by the "reason" you want to eat healthy. Is it to lose weight, to prevent illness, or to curb an existing condition? All of this needs to be looked at.

Some fat in your diet is actually good for you. While your body is breaking down the fat, it not processing all those yummy carbs you ate into fat. again moderation..
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Bison is pretty good. Its not fatty, in fact, almost too lean. Very little cholesterol in the fat that is there, and about 2 times the protein of beef. I've read Bison heart has the highest level of Omega-3. And it tastes good, rather sweet from the grass they eat.

The trick is to not dry it out. Steaks are easy, just a fast sear. I often mix some Worstershire or a bit of teriyaki or just a little prepared mustard with burgers to add a bit of extra moisture.

The bison I bought from the Dakotas tasted just fine, but the animals obviously got to walk around a lot, and the meat was rather tough. I found a farm in the next county a few years ago. The animals don't roam around a prairie, just the back 40, and get grain once every 10 days, so they are a little plumper and more tender than the range animals.

I've had good luck with bison heart. Not so good with short ribs, they've repeatedly turned out rather tough. Some success with chuck roasts done slow for pulling. Have a brisket in the freezer that I'll be doing as soon as the outdoors gets above 10 degrees where I am.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    The chorus is "in moderation" Over in the weight loss forum that's what you'll hear and you'll also find some recipes that will be quite good and lower in fat. One comes to mind Yogurt-Chili Chicken with Mango Pepper Salsa f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c!!

I have also heard that most game animals wild caught or farmed are better bets, lower in fat and cholesterol than beef.

Good luck.
  • All unprocessed meat is healthy. Protein is healthy. Fat is healthy.

Read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes for a thorough debunking of the idea that "low fat" is in any way healthy.
  • Pick up a copy of the South Beach Diet Book. It will explain and Identify Lean vs Fatty meats. Libraries usually have them. If you do not want to buy one.

Good Luck!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Roanokesmoke,

Lamb is really good.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    I'll stick to your question. Any lean meat is a great thing to cook on your egg. In addition, your egg will incorporate flavors and create excellent meats.

Where I will deviate is in what you do with that meat after it's been cooked and what you eat with that meat.

I recently saw a post from someone stating they were eating healthy. It was about half true. An entire 10" plate was covered with the following: 3 slices of pork loin, mashed potatoes, vegetables, shrimp, and bread. I'm guessing they tried to cook them as "healthy" as possible.

But, it's the rest of the meal and the portion size that make the biggest difference.

Lately, I've started cooking 6 or more chicken breasts at a time and then eating them throughout the week. With salad...as a component to stir fry. Pre cooking them is a great way to make sure you don't stray and run off to McD's.