Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thursday recipe thread- crashed potatoes

Options
EmandM'sDad
EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
Because the 3 women in my life can't seem to live without their carbs, i've started doing this Crashed Potatoes recipe from thepioneerwoman.com. By using smaller new red potatoes, we can control the amount of carbs (and the fat that goes with them). They work really well finishing on the egg, either direct on a raised grid or indirect, depending on how your cooking your protien.

Crashed Potatoes

1 medium new red potato ( 2"diameter) for each person

1/4- 1/2 tsp olive oil for each potato( I like Truffle Oil)

garlic salt, cracked black pepper, or your favorite rub.

Boil potatoes until just barely fork tender, abou10-12 minutes. remove to a cookie sheet. Smash each spud to about 3/4" thick with what you have at hand. I use a wine bottle. there always seems to be one nearby.Fluff with a fork and drizzle or misto spritz each one with olive oil. Sprinkle S&P or your favorite rub. place spuds on a raised grid over direct heat or directly on the platesetter. Finish until tops are golden brown and crispy. this probably takes 10-15 minited at 350 dome.

Thanks to: http://thepioneerwoman.com/

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    that works really well with the little new potaotes, we fry them up in a skillet for breakfast on camping trips, usually have a few days worth boiled up and ready to go for fish frys as well. will have to try it on a grill
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Love that recipe AND especially the Misto trick - those potatoes love to drink up the olive oil if you apply it with a brush....

I usually boil up a couple meals' worth of the little potatoes (fingerlings and small Yukon golds work well, too) and keep the extras cooked ones in the fridge. It makes meal prep even quicker and diced cooked potatoes are very nice in a frittata made with half whole eggs, half egg whites (along with a little low-fat provolone and some other cooked, drained veggies.

Now if only we could figure out how to lighten PW's queso (besides using 2% Velveeta....)
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    :whistle: somehow mine dont look so nonfattening, deep fried and covered with ketchup
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    One of the many diets I was on I found this recipe. Its not hard and I can not remember where I found it.

2 medium sized zucchini - halved length-wise

1 can of Albacore Tuna (packed in water and drained)
    note: you can cook your own tuna for this, but it needs to be thoroughly cooked.

I small can of tomato sauce.

With a teaspoon hollow out each zucchini half. Set the halves aside.

Chopped the meat if the zucchini into 1/4 inch squares.

In a mixing boil add the tomato sauce, zucchini and tuna and mix well.

Spoon the mixture into the zucchini halves.

Heat your Egg to 350 Dome indirect. Cook till the Zucchini is tender.

Now the fun part. As is it's rather bland. You can season this with just S&P or eggperiment. I use to add dried basil and/or oregano to the mix. I sometimes added Herbs De Providence. Thyme worked well here too.

I topped it with Shredded Cheddar or Grated Parmigiana or if you have a cheddar or Parmigiana block try the cheese thinly sliced. It can be topped with Colby. Just be careful of the cheese to top near the end of the cook and use sparingly.

Depending on the size of the Zucchini this could feed 4. They are a lot more filling then they sound.

Eat slow and enjoy your food. This is good with a glass of wine. Remember reds are full of anti-oxidants
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    I'm with you on her Queso.... And maybe work on her evil apple dumplings
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Get them to eat more Sweet Potatoes. Lots of yummy carbs and the really cool part is they are complex carbs... They don't go to the hips and belly so fast..