Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcessories

xrayjdm
xrayjdm Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
[/color

I got a BGE from my wonderful wife for Christmas and was planning to fire it up this weekend by smoking a pork butt. I realized after some reading that I need a plate setter. The retailer my wife purchased from has virtually no accessories on hand but said it could be ordered. I didn't want to wait so I contacted a few others provided by the BGE website. They didn't have the item as well. Very frustrating!
Is there a useful website where I can purchase eggcessories directly from? If not...suggestions??

Thanks]

Comments

• xrayjdm,

Try contacting the mothership in atlanta at this number
    770-938-9394 they should be able to assist you with what you are searching for. Also for other add ons to your BGE go to this site..
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/ i hope this helps you in your search
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning EGGLANDS BEST:

Sorry to jump the thread, but wanted to check to see if you got my email about the mini carrier?

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• My dealer did not carry any acc either, I have found the platesetter to be the best method but I used a cast iron skillet till I got mine. Keep reading the forum , use the search and archives feature and you will find many ways to "keep cookin" :cheer:
  • Xray,
    If you can't find a placesetter, don't worry. You can still smoke your butt this weekend. I don't use one and have no problem with a long cook.

This is 4 pork shoulders that I smoked for 14 hours. Just used a large aluminum pan. This is what it looked like when I put it on the egg:

CIMG2838.jpg

This is what it looked like the next day when I took it off:

CIMG2840.jpg

Note all the juices that I got to strain and pour over the meat after it was pulled. An added benefit!

I say improvise and go for it. Enjoy your egg!! And welcome to the forum.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • xrayjdm
    Thank you. I didn't realize that was possible. Great looking roasts!
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Your profile doesnt say where you live. but if you live in the south east you can call the Mothership and order one. If you do it in the morning and which gives them time to ship that day and if you tell them to place the order UPS ground you will get it the next day and save a boat load on shipping. But it depends on where you live.

I live in AL and ordered a high temp gasket this way. It was at my house the next day and only cost about a buck or two more than mail which would have taken several days to arrive.
  • Howdy, had same predicament too. Used roasting pan with V-rack and set butt in that, kinda-sorta indirect :kiss: Worked well, tried to keep temp around 225 as was going for "low and slow" long smoke, but fire took off ot 400 for a while--didn't hurt a thing! Pulled after 15hrs and was sure tasty! B)
  • SSN686,

I didn't get your email but i did read your post and sent you an email via the forum in reply to what you stated
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    If you have a brickyard nearby, call and see if they carry fireplace brick: 4.5x9x1.5 size. They are cheap, couple bucks each. I'd probably get two. Hit Walmart for an aluminum baking pan. Then put grid on fire ring, bricks on grid, three egg feet on bricks, pan with butts on feet. Total cost of set-up, maybe $10. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • xrayjdm
    Thank you for the link.
  • xrayjdm
    Thank you all for the suggestions. Guess I'll be doing the 1st fire this weekend as planned.
  • Xray,
    I forgot to tell you in my previous post that I put the aluminum pan with the pork shoulders on a cookie sheet that I also covered with foil. This helps support the bottom, and is easier to transport to the kitchen, especially with all those drippings!

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    You can use a pizza stone with fire bricks in place of a plate setter,
  • I have a plate setter for all of my grills. You will really use it a lot and find it handy.
  • emmagee
    emmagee Posts: 48
    Let me also suggest Fred's Misc & BBQ, http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/

Like you, my wife gave me a large BGE for Christmas and I wanted some accessories as well; my local dealer didn't have a lot of stock either. I found Fred's and was ready to order a plate setter, cast iron grill, some DP spices, etc, about a $250 order total, when I went to the check out the shipping was over $40. I emailed Fred's, told them the contents of my order and asked if there was an error in the shipping charges as that seemed really high for ground. Within a couple hours I received an email from Fred indicating why it was so expensive to ship the plate setter and cast iron grate and if I were to remove one or the other or both I would see the shipping costs greatly reduced; I thanked him for explaining the charges to me. I played around with it, but ended up placing my initial order and ordering everything.

This was on a Sat. and Sunday I emailed Fred direct, asked him if I could add a couple of more DP rubs to my initial order. Again, within a few hours I received a reply indicating it was no problem and he only needed the three digit security code from my credit card as the system does not retain that info. Very easy to work with.

A couple of days later, before I even received my order, Fred called me. He said me email about shipping charges peaked his interest and he looked into it, he said the charge was right if either the cast iron grate OR the pate setter was ordered, but if ordered together, the customer really took a bath and he owed me money! Fred said he figured I was due about $20 and he would either issue a credit to my card or give me a store credit, I was shocked to say the least and told him a store credit would be fine. Within an hour he emailed me a 'gift card' for $25. That is good service and he certainly kept me as a loyal customer.