Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Zuchini?

dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wife is trying to eat healthy and she picked up some zuchini (did I spell it right), any suggestions on how to make it?

Comments

• slice into 1/4" slices lengthwise. brush with olive oil and sprinkle with your favorite rub. Grill about 2 minutes each side. sprinkle w parmesian cheese and grill for another minute.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i stuffed mine.. i got these from miles of smiles and just kind of made up the first one

i stuffed them with onion, garlic, beef, sausage, and rice

2008-07-14007.jpg

then i was told by thirdeye to cut them in half use a melon baller to scoop out alot of the "meat" of the zuck and stuff..i used a mixture of panko bread crumbs, cheese, rice, and tomatos.. now that might not be "healthy" but it sure was good.. :P

2008-07-18.jpg

m&m's dad has a good idea also ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    dougemsmacks,

If it's for a main dish it is really good in a grilled vegetable ratatouille. Grill with sliced peppers, onions, carrots and anything else you have around.

Mix with a little olive oil, garlic or rosted garlic, and herbs (rosemary, thyme and basil)
    Cook in a pan on the egg with a can of diced tomatoes til some of the water is evaporated.

Stir in some balsamic, top with some parmesan or romano or peccorino.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    I like my Zucchini slices and lightly boiled. Little butter. They can be WOK'd too
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I quarter mine length wise add butter and Raging River. Wrap in foil, on the egg until done.

Mike
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    I like them sliced with sliced onion and Mrs Dash. I usually nuke them with a little water or cook them in foil on the egg.
  • WOW I did not think zuchini was popular on the grill.
    Bente : stuffing it with sausage sounds good, unless your my wife then it sounds like this, OOH THAT SMELLS GOOD , WHY ARE YOU MAKING THAT IN FRONT OF ME, YOU KNOW THIS ISN'T EASY BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.
  • newegg
    newegg Posts: 78
    I chop mine up with yellow squash, onion, garlic, sprinkle with EVO and Dizzy Pig seasoning and put in a disposable pan. Put on the Egg at about 350 and check at 30 minutes...the batch I made tonight took about 40 minutes total. Delicious and very healthy! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I like to sprinkle with Shakin The Tree or Ragin River,but I used to use a Montreal steak seasoning.I egg mine in little foil boats with some beer for it to simmer in :) It's pretty good,but wifey loves it :woohoo: ;)

001-5.jpg
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    that is why you should try the second one for her and the first one for you ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• That means I have to eat on the deck so she can't smell it:)
  • Life's full of compromises.
  • Wash zucchini and slice in half lengthwise. Rub with light coating of olive oil and sprinkle with anything from salt & pepper to a dry Italian seasoning blend (such as Mrs. Dash's).

Grill on BGE direct at 350 degrees for about 7 minutes per side until cooked through with nice grill marks.

The End.

P.S. You can also grill Roma tomatoes the exact same way (leave the tomatoes whole). Yellow squash can be treated the same way as the zucchini. I also like to grill pineapple slices at 350-450 degrees for 5-7 minutes per side. Season the pineapple slices with either ground cinnamon or chili powder.
  • Slice zuchini and summer squash 1/4" thick, throw in some mushrooms and onions. EVOO, salt/pepper or maybe some dizzy pig. Saute on the egg with a little apple or cherry smoke for variety.
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    newegg,

I do exactly what you do, but add one twist at the end. Sprinkle a little (good quality) balsamic vinegar. The vegetables really take on a nice flavor. :P
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    makes a nice casserole layered with summer squash, stewed or chef cut tomatoes and cheese
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it