Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another fine mess I've gotten myself into

Grillin Guy
Grillin Guy Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Grate Grills Deli, our local egg dealer who operates a deli and cooks on big green eggs, offers cooking classes once a month during the year. As a graduate of last year's classes, Mike Rogers, one of the owners, has asked me to partake in the hanger steak class which is in March. My role will be to come up with an appetizer using hanger steaks.

I haven't seen many appetizers incorporating steaks as the main ingredient and wondered if any of you had any suggestions. I know I could do ABT's using steak as the filler but I was hoping for something a bit diffent.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC06699JPGa.jpg

You're not in that bad of shape....I'm thinking appetizers, and especially demonstration appetizers need to be really tasty, able to cook relatively fast, and.... now let's be honest here, need to have responsible portion control. In other words, pieces of beef served with toothpicks.

I would say some kind of kabob method would work nicely. Possibly 3 or 4 different seasonings and maybe one marinated one. You don't want to loose track of the hanger flavor, but some good back flavors will get remembered. The key is to prepare everything ahead and keep the pieces in containers iced down, so all you have to do is skewer up a bunch to go on the cooker. Cut all the cubes the same size so you have a known cooking time. And of course, do a couple of practice runs.

DSC06699JPGajpgaajpgB.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Thirdeye:

Nice photo ! What are you cooking on there out in the snow? Its Ok you're helping a Egger.
  • thirdeye
    I'm cooking on my deck. 67346f1c-1.gif

Seriously, that's my large Egg.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Ok whats on the second from the right? It looks like squid.
  • thirdeye
    That's the shiny side of a chicken thigh, the side closest to the skin. I had that skewer on a separate plate and forgot to put it on with the beef and pork.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Great idea, Wayne. I think that's the direction I'll take. It doesn't overpower the hanger and makes for a nice presentation.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    I see you are getting geared up for the throwdown on the other forum!! LOL.
    Nice, mang. Nice.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Terry,
    Here's another idea. It calls for sirloin but I bet hangar could be used. Maybe some fancy lettuce underneath the sliced meat and the bearnaise in the middle?
    Supermans Cold Steak Bearnaise Appetizer

Sirloin steak OR sirloin tip roast, cooked, thinly sliced, served cold with Bearnaise sauce. Great for Superbowl parties!
    Prep:20m
    Cook:90m
    Servings:20

* This recipe is really very simple and easy, but oh, so delicious! :)

* 5 THICK SIRLOIN STEAKS *OR* 1 SIRLOIN TIP ROAST EQUIVQLENT IN SIZE

* BEARNAISE SAUCE
    * 4 egg yolks
    * Juice of 1 lemon
    * 2 cups (1 pound) of butter, melted
    * Salt and pepper to taste
    * 1/4 cup chopped parsley
    * 4 tablespoons capers
    * 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
    * Sprinkle of cayenne

Directions

1. Your choice on how the sirloin steaks are cooked, pan fried, grilled OR
    2. 1 sirloin tip roast---cook by placing pats of butter over top of roast, cover in Worcestershire sauce, sprinkle with black pepper, cook uncovered in a 375 degree oven until desired doneness
    3. When steaks or roast are cooked, cool, and wrap tightly in Saran Wrap. Refrigerate.

4. BEARNAISE SAUCE
    5. In top of double boiler, beat egg yolks and lemon juice until well blended
    6. Place over bottom half of double boiler
    7. Cook slowly over very low heat, never allowing the water to boil
    8. Add melted butter slowly, stirring constantly with a WOODEN spoon
    9. Add salt, pepper, parsley, capers and vinegar
    10. Stir to blend

11. TO SERVE:
    12. Remove steaks or roast from refrigerator, cut into paper thin slices across the grain. Cut away all fat, then cut into bite sized pieces.
    13. Arrange on a platter and serve with Bearnaise sauce. This will serve about 20.
  • Wish I lived closer. Stopped in for lunch on my way to Eggtoberfest last year. Pulled pork nachos were mightyfine. Nice place for Eggers to get together once a month and share eggsperiences.
  • That looks really, really good, Bob. I'm going to try it this weekend and see how well I do on it. You think we could do the Bearnaise sauce on the egg? Seems like it would be hard to keep the temps low enough.
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Terry,
    I think you need the double boiler or you'll end up with scrambled eggs.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Grillin Guy,

I've done a satay at eggfest the last couple of years and it turns out good. You could substitute hanger strips pounded flat for the pork or chicken in the recipe. Lot of work to prep but a quick cook.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON