Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh Beans!!

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried this one the other day & was very impressed! Anyone else agree?

Beans.jpg

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    The beans look rather good...........but must admit I'd buy them for the borbon & brown sugar.. :)
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Been seeing the ads on tv every day and been trying to find them in stores all around here and had no luck. Been getting the regular beans forever and can't wait to try the grillin beans. :huh:
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    The Steakhouse Beans are pretty good also.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    this is B&M country up here, the only thing better is homemade, we eat alot of beans
    0b490e70.jpg
    i brought bush beans and green ketchup on a fishing trip once and never heard the end of it, the green kethup was not as bad as i thought it was going to be
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Nice pots!

You know where the name BM came from I am sure. :ohmy:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    the two front right are oldies but the others can still be bought from the pot shop of boston. burnham & morill?
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    Options
    Bush beans doctored up with fried bacon pieces and fried chopped onions in an aluminum foil pan and cooked in the egg are great.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Like fishless said, this here country is B&M country. Which are really honest to gosh baked beans just like the ones in fishless' photo.

Bush beans are steamed beans not baked so, I guess if you pour a can or two into a baking dish and pop them in the Egg they'd be baked steamed beans. ;)

If you've never had 'real' baked beans you'll never eat steamed beans again.

fishless, how 'bout that nice big chunk of salt pork we get all steeped in molasses and bean goodness? There aren't too many things better in my book.
  • jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    Options
    I still prefer Bush's.
  • Kevin_in_Tyrone
    Options
    Are one of you guys going to post a recipe for the REAL baked beans? Or are you just going to force the rest of us to suffer with baked steamed beans?

Thanks! :-)
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I am a fan of Bush's too...Not to say B&M aren't good.
    But, you ask about "REAL" baked beans and so here you have it. These are my standard, gleaned from my mother-in-law many years ago.

Erma's Amarillo Ranch Beans
    (The “real thing” from the Pan-Handle of Texas)
    Dad's Kitchen.

1)) Starting with dry beans, washing and picking over about 2/3 pound each of Navy, Pinto and Black, then soaking over night.
    Drain the beans and set aside.

2)) I then start with most any left over pork from a cook, but it is also very easy to start with browning 1/2 to 1 lb. of sliced, diced lean ham or even some country style (bulk) coarsely ground pork sausage, browned.
    I do this in my heavy cast iron, enameled roaster. You may have to add a bit of olive oil if using ham and it is very lean.
    Toward the end of this browning process, I stir in about 1 to 1-1/2 t. Chili Powder, coating the ham / meat and somewhat browning it in.

3)) Once the meat is browned, add to roaster:
    1 - Lg. onion (grated or finely minced)
    4 to 6 Cloves of garlic (crushed)
    Then continue the sauté’ until the onion is just soft. (Additional oil may be needed here too)

4)) Add to the roaster either, 2 cans of Ro-Tel (Original or Milder) or one can each of Ro-Tel and Diced Tomatoes (15 oz.), depending on how "zippy" you want the beans.
    Tomato sauce (about 28oz.)
    1 - 4oz. can of chopped or diced Green Chilies
    2 to 4 t. of Dry Mustard
    1/4 C. Dark Molasses
    1 T. Liquid Smoke (more or less to taste and may not be needed if the beans are baked uncovered for a portion of their time in the Egg.)
    12oz. Dark, robust beer

5)) Add the beans. Cover and cook on the egg for six to eight hours at 300 to 350 F. More water / beer / liquid may be necessary as the beans cook. But don’t check on then too often!
    Also keep in mind that if you bake the beans uncovered
    for the last two hours or so...They will need more liquid, but also pick up a nice flavor.