Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Come on- Someone has to know how to egg afresh ham

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Come on- Someone has to know how to egg a fresh ham

Comments

• do you want to brine it first, the smoke, this i have done but it takes 1/2 day per pound in a brine liquid to cure first. if this is what you are looking for i can send you the recipe but you also need pink salt, or tcm .
  • I really appreciate your reply and offer of help but I don't have time to brine... Any other suggestions??
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Just like you would a butt.You can take it off when it is sliceable or just let it cook to 200 I T and have shredded ham.Indirect 225 til desired doneness.I hve done several all turned out great.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    This is NOT a domesticated hog you are dealing with.

You can cook it like one, but it won't be anywhere near as good. The brining process is pretty much required for a wild hog. As little chef mentioned it more to ensue all the wild blood is out of the meat.

If you don't have time then don't cook it now. Freeze it and cook it later.
  • Hoss
    I did not see the earlier posts before I replied.If it is indeed a wild hog please disregard my post.I have no eggperience with wild hogs.I have cooked regular butcher store bought hams.I cook them indirect,platsetter legs up,drip pan on little egg feet,ham wrapped in a brown paper grocery bag.I soak ham in Wickers for an hour or 2 then rub with whatever you want,I use Cavenders.LOW n SLOW til desired doness.
  • Hoss
    My bad CW.I replied BEFORE I saw the previous thread.Didn't realize it was a RAZORBACK!!! :blush::sick: .You are eggxactly correct.That thing needs to be decontaminated first. :cheer:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Plados...Please read the prior posts by Celtic Wolf and me. You are dealing with a wild animal here, not a domesticated pig. There is a huge difference. To brine, ot not to brine, is really not an option. Brine, not "cure". Just soak the darn things in this mixture: 1 cup kosher salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 gallon water
    (Double or triple so it covers the meat)
    That's it! Soak it for 12 hours, THEN cook it. (Shoot, just overnight! Any time! Brine them) It will help sanitize the meat, and will also help to take excess blood out. When you see how disgusting the brine looks after the soak, you will understand.
    You asked for advice, and we are trying to give you really good advice.
    As far as the cook goes, get the EGG to 225 grate temp. (If u don't have a guru, thats about 275 dome temp). Rinse the brine off, dry them, a flavored dry rub, then drape with slices of bacon to add some fat. Onto the egg, indirect, until internal temp exceeds 185.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I was about to ask the same question as Plados. In the last couple of weeks I have trapped two Texas feral hogs. Both were young sows approximately 125# live weight, field dressed 88# and 90#. I field dressed them and took them to a local processor that knows what they are doing. The breakfast sausage has been some of the best I have ever eaten.

I have been wanting to know how to cook the fresh hams and now I know!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.