Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New table - What paver?

Options
Seidegger
Seidegger Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The dealer is building & sealing the long BGE table for me, but I need to go get a paver to put it under the egg right? Any suggestions on what type and size of paver(s) I should get?

Thanks for the continued support!

Comments

• Revolution
    Options
    Most lawn and garden centers (I bought mine at Lowe's) sell the ones that are about 12 X 12. And you can get them in most any color you want.

I think it was about $3.00.

-Charlie
    Tallahassee, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    As Revolution said they are readily available at the big box stores and you should be even able to find some colored ones and either smooth cement or exposed aggregate. What I did to allow even more air to circulate was to go with 2 blocks which were 12 x 6. That way it was easy to position all 3 feet and have a air channel underneath. Setting the 3 feet on a 12 x 12 can be dicey. BTW the reason I have 2 layers is I built my table when the eggs had the older locking latch hinge. After retrofitting to the spring hinge I needed more height to open. OTOH it's just that more protection!
    IMG_1227.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I recently refinished my table & put new pavers under, using 4 twelve by twelve pavers side by side, like the others have said, cheap at Home Depot/Lowes:

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1840-1.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • devmode
    devmode Posts: 68
    Options
    I just picked up a 16x16 from Lowes yesterday for about $3.50

I see some people continue to put the ceramic feet on. The "manual" said there was no need. Any reason to use them?
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    The bottom of the egg gets real hot, the feet elevate it so that air circulates, some have had stones & various paver type pads break under the heat when the egg is sitting right on top without the feet. I don't know if these thick concrete pavers would break, but my feeling is why risk it - I think I got the ones in that picture above at Lowes too
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Kevin_in_Tyrone
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is use the manual for fire starter. You will be a lot better off.

In this case, not using the feet can cause pavers to crack / explode. Somebody has a picture. Maybe the Whiz?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    not using the feet will, over time, allow the heat to transfer to the wood below resulting in damage to the wood (over time).

Use at least 1.25" thick stone. pavers should be fine. Don't use slate! looks nice but it will crack.
    stonecrack-1.jpg

there was no other damage, no danger or threat of fire. Just the stone cracked. If I was there when it happened maybe there would've been a danger from shrapnel, but it split pretty cleanly.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I agree - pitch that outdated manual after you have torn out the registration page. As for my stepping stone breakage experience that happened to me 8 years ago before I had a camera so no pix. I live here in Illinois where besides having dishonest jerky governors we also get 4 full seasons of weather which jerk us around. My first paver under my egg was a round one with exposed rock aggregate. The feet looked uncool to me so I placed the egg directly...round bottom on round "stone" - cool I thought. During the monsoon spring that year my "stone" must have taken on moisture (it's ONLY concrete after all!) as during one high temp cook when I was standing right there I heard a LOUD BAM! and it scared me as I assumed my BGE bottom had exploded. Much to my relief when I grabbed a flashlight I saw the "stone" had literally exploded. Since the replacement I'm an advocate for the 3 green feet! May I coin an expression tonight? Don't egg bare, use the green feet!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • OzarkQ
    OzarkQ Posts: 150
    Options
    Ditto for me - I was using one of those ceramic tiles and when it went, that 'BANG' came out of the blue when I was cooking pizzas and almost made me mess my shorts! :laugh:
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    @RRP
    what's behind your temp guage there? Also, i have the feet and i now know i need to add a paver(s?). two 12x12s stacked with the feet is working well for everyone still or have you found something else better?
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • Tigers34
    Options
    I have my large bge resting on 3 fire bricks positioned in the manner of the feet that are sitting on top of a paver.  This allows for air flow and it makes it sit little higher in the table.