Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lamb receipt

Options
golffer
golffer Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife is a real lamb lover so part of the deal for my new BGE was a good lamb dinner. Good receipts?

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    I've never bought lamb so I don't have any lamb receipts. If however your looking for a recipe then maybe this will help.

Lamb, Leg, Boneless, ClayQ

This is the first time I have cut the leg so it lays flat and I don't know why I haven't done this before. Lot more crust/marinade flavors going and the meat roasted fairly even across the cut.I have another leg in the freezer, will do this again. I went with a Nepal style marinade overnight then roasted indirect with a little pecan smoke. Served with grated nutmeg squash, jasmin rice and red wine.Clay

INGREDIENTS:
    Nepal Style Marinade for Lamb
    1 cup virgin olive oil
    juice of two lemons
    1 Tbs cumin seed, ground
    1/2 Tbs salt
    1/2 Tbs onion powder
    1 tsp yellow mustard powder
    1 tsp galic powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp Balti (East Indian) seasoning
    1 tsp sweet curry
    1/2 tsp ginger powder
    1/2 tsp fenugreek seed powder
    1/2 tsp cardamom, ground
    a couple dashes of cayenne powder

Procedure:
    1 Blend well and place butterflyed leg in 2.5 gal food bag with marinade and rest 6 hours or overnight.
    2 I did not have mustard oil which is often used with Nepal cooking so I use mustard powder. Yogurt is often used to marinate but I left that out.
    3 Clay

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, ClayQ, 2007/12/02
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    golffer, I just bought my first 'leg o lamb' yesterday but I forgot to keep the receipt!..I know they were pretty proud of it! :blink: :woohoo: ..as far as recipes, my first attempt at a boned leg 'o lamb will be using the 'recipe' from 'Smoke and Spice' for 'Lucious Leg of Lamb'...hate to recommend it since I havent tried it...will letya know though ;)
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    Here's one I did a while ago. I took a bone-in leg of lamb and filleted out the bone. I also cut out a lot of the fat and gristle. I rubbed the meat with a good amount of olive oil and dusted with salt & pepper (Cavender's Greek seasoning would be a good choice, also).

I blended up some fresh oregano and parsley and a little basil with some olive oil and coated the top of the lamb. Then I rolled it into a tight roast and tied it. I smeared the rest of the herbs on the outside.

I grilled it direct on a raised grid at about 375. I forget the internal temperature I pulled it at.

Here are some before and after shots.

Lamb1.jpg

Lamb2.jpg

Lamb4.jpg

Lamb5.jpg

Turned out very juicy and tender.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Golffer,

I put a great leg of lamb recipe in the "Recipe" section of the forum. I got it from a nurse from New Zealand - who knows more about lamb than the 'kiwis' ?

I have cooked it twice on my LBGE, the second time was 2 legs, feeding 10 people. Even the non-lamb eaters were raving about it. Need to start the day before the cook, but easy to do and impressive results.

Enjoy!
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    I have served this many times:

Butterfly Leg of Lamb

1 5- to 6- pound leg of lamb

Marinade:
    1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon fines herbs
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
    1/4 cup grated onion
    1/2 cup salad oil
    1/2 cup lemon juice

The day before:
    Bone leg of lamb and slit lengthwise to spread flat like a thick steak.
    Thoroughly mix remaining ingredients in a blender.
    In a glass baking dish, in the refrigerator, marinade meat overnight, turning a couple times.

The Cook:
    Remove meat and heat remaining marinade on stovetop.
    Insert two long skewers through meat at right angles.
    Roast over medium coals 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours turning every 15 minutes ‘till medium done, basting at each turn.
    Allow to rest 10 minutes then remove skewers and cut across grain.

Notes:
    When de-boning, I trim off all the fat I can.
    I marinade this in a plastic baking bag with all the air squeezed out, so I don't worry about turning.
    I cook this in the Egg at 350 degrees, turning and basting every 30 minutes, to medium.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03066a.jpg

I would go with a couple of racks of lamb. First, this will let you show off your knife skills, then your grilling skills.

You can marinate them, but I prefer dry seasonings and a baste of garlic butter/olive oil toward the end of the cook. (you can flavor the butter with about anything you really like)

Here is the basic trimming steps.....don't forget the membrane, they are ribs afterall.

LambRackPrep.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    a211bad6.jpg

f5dab12b.jpg

2d5ceb56.jpg

db3ad808.jpg

mini074.jpg

mini079.jpg

mini081.jpg

mini082.jpg

rack was done on mini. for the roast i get two packs of rosemary 1 garlic clove salt pepper evoo and put in blender.. drain the evoo [squeeze in strainer] and inject the lamb with wvoo and rub the reamining pulp on the meat re- tie and egg to 135 rest [temp will rise to 140+ served with twiced baked
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i forgot to mention misippi egger's recipe sounds great and i will be doing his recipe next time i do lamb.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Nice instructions and pics, Thirdeye! Thanks for sharing, as always.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I've never done the twice baked outside of the skin....About how long did they go back on, on the planks?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    about 25 minutes . they were already hot so i just cranked up the heat long enough to get a little crust and a hint of smoke.. i really like the other ones in those little lodge cast iron cups.. get a nice little crust all around and they stay hot on the plate
    bill
  • golffer
    golffer Posts: 144
    Options
    Fantastic photos. This I'm gonna try.