Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lazy Cook Looking for a Thin Pizza Dough Recipe

WooDoggies
WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Yall. Happy New Year!

I'm looking for a reliable thin pizza dough recipe. I've been happy with several dough recipes that come out chewy and bready but I'm looking for something a little different that:
is thin and crispy... but not too thin like cracker crust thin.
can be made and baked the same day... where the dough does not have to rest overnight.
will be enough for one 15" pizza... as there are only two of us
can be baked in the egg or oven (our oven get's well over 500 degrees).

Cook's Illustrated has a pretty good thin pizza dough recipe but it's way too complex and the dough has to rest overnight. I know I may be asking too much but if anyone has a great thin tried and true pizza dough recipe for this lazy cook please pass it on.

Thanks ahead for any response... I'll be back late this afternoon to check in.

Cheers!
john

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Hey John, the overnight rest is just for flavor enhancement, you can get by with an hour rise and it will be fine. I used to make a thin crust by rolling the dough on parchment paper with a wide sheet of plastic wrap on top of the dough. Once it was rolled thin enough, pull off the plastic, add toppings, and bake it on the paper. Got the technique from Cook's Illustrated. -RP
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Hey, that's a great idea! Thanks!! 8 - )
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    John, look up Zippy Lip. he has some great pizza knowledge.
    Kenny
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I'd like to try a thin crust also...makin pizza tomorrow.
    Thanks for the tip. :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i must be the real lazy cook, i just buy it at the supermarket. i do hand toss, let it rest, hand toss, let it rest, and toss it again to get it real thin, you have to sing in fake italian while doing this. now my method is to cook it so fast that it doesnt have a chance to rise while in the egg. 900 dome temps raised high in the grill over alot of heat mass.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Clay Q
    Yeeooozzzaaaa, that's-a-hot egg. :ohmy:
    But then you don't have gaskets to worry about.
    I got a gasket shield with a stacked second fire ring but I'm not goin higher than 500 for extended pizza cookin. I know, I know, ...no guts no crispy crust. :P
  • fishlessman
    my personal record is a 53 second cook somewhere between 1100 and 1200, my 1000 degree gage was working its way around the dial again. the back side must be real hot because you have to spin it half way thru the cook which makes things real interesting
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i thought your pizzas were 1100 degree pizzas?

where's that pic of your axial jet engine turbine insert?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Clay Q
    Wow, I'm outa your league. Sure would be fun if I had a neighbor like you. You out cook, out drink and out fish anyone. :laugh:
    Here is a pic of my shield. I call it a grid ring.
    BGEChinesePorkandShiitake008.jpg
    I've found that I don't get the same hot spot at the back using the firebox liner, the fire is spread out better. Don't know what will happen at 500 dome but will find out tomorrow.
    BGEFireboxliner0009.jpg
    I think there is gonna be a lota pizza cookin tomorrow from what I read.
  • fishlessman
    the large seems to stall at 900 to a 1000 until the airflow increases a little from the lump burning down, 900 works well, but you have to wait along time for the pizza to cook, maybe a whole 4 minutes
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    i wonder how a sheet metal rollup would work as a deflector. look at the next thread up to see my setup. the heat mass is round so the flames dont get forced sideways at the gasket area, they actually wrap up and around and hover over the pizza by maybe a half inch above it. looking thru the dome you will see a ball of bluue flames hovering just over the pie
    fukahwee maine

• mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    The JerryMac cool-rise dough I posted the other day (topic was "pizza dough for Never Summer") can be done same day. Just make the preferment and let rise at room temp for 5 hours, then mix in the rest and let the dough rise for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours. That's the original JerryMac version (well, actually he does two additional 1 1/2 to 2 hour rises, deflating between).

The dough I used to always do is also a same-day and was the best I'd found before JerryMac. It's the Figs pizza dough from chef Todd English:

Figs Pizza Dough
    , 1 pizza

Our dough is far wetter than you'd ever believe; it makes a light, crisp crust It may take you a few tries before you get it right. Be patient and err on the side of underworking the dough; if you overwork it, the crust will be tough and dry.

1/8 cup whole wheat flour
    1 3/4 cups all purpose flour plus additional for rolling
    1 tsp (1/4 ounce) fresh yeast
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp olive oil
    3/4 cups lukewarm water

1. Place the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour; yeast, salt, and sugar in a mixer fitted with a dough hook. While the mixer is running, gradually add the oil and water. Knead on low speed until the dough is firm and smooth, about 10 minutes.

2. Let dough rise in a warm spot, loosely covered with plastic or a damp towel, until doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.

3. Shape for pizza

Yield: Makes 1/2 14-15" pizza
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • WooDoggies
    Thanks Randy. That's a good idea. I read that on CI but never thought to apply it to my regular pizza dough recipe.

It might even be worth trying their thin pizza dough recipe without the overnight rest.

john
  • WooDoggies
    Thanks Kenny.

Hey Zippy, do you have a thin pizza dough recipe that fits a lazy cook's criteria?

john
  • WooDoggies
    Our local pizza joint... a very good Italian pizza joint... sells fresh dough which we use a lot. So I'm with you on the really lazy... but for now, I'm only talking somewhat lazy... which is easy homemade pizza dough.

No thanks on the 1100 degrees. That only for Nature Boy's squids!

john
  • WooDoggies
    Thanks Michelle! We're baking more with whole grain flours and Fig's recipe is right up our alley.

The recipe is copied, printed and ready to give it a go. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

john
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    John,

Try a little dough dressing of some minced garlic and a few teaspoons of olive oil, then a sprinkle of kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper before applying your sauce, too. Kay-yum-bo!
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • What up Artimus...been way too long. Herm's doing good down here in Charleston. You should come down some time.

As far as the pizza...quit being lazy...I use the recipe you are talking about from Cooks Illustrated. Just kidding buddy...you know I have an answer. Use the Pizza Margherita recipe on CI. Turns out great and I think it is only an hour rest. I am a big fan of using parchment paper instead of wrestling with the peel. But whatever floats your boat.

Check out my new egg digs...

IMG_2463.jpg

Hope to see you again soon!