Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Resting your steak

Buckethead
Buckethead Posts: 285
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the desire for warm steak. I cook my steak to med-rare, remove from the fire, tent with foil, eat my salad, 5 minutes, cold steak but juicy. Someone has the solution, I don't.
DMo

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    we eat our steak right on top of the greens....

warm steak, wilted greens, nice warm juice.
    for a firm steak, like a strip, i'll even shave top-notch parm on top.

strip.jpg

the greens get a drizzle of olive oil and some balsamic V. the steak goes right on top.

why wait? better yet, if you don't want to put the steak on the greens, eat the steak first. salad is for the end of the meal anyway, in the rest of the civilized world.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Egg And I
    Egg And I Posts: 110
    If the steak is getting truly cold five minutes after you pull it, you're putting it on a chilled plate or pan!

When you pull it, put it on a pre-heated (hot tap water works well for this), heavy plate at about 140 degrees and tent with foil. Should stay warm for 10-15 mins at least.

5 mins should be enough time to rest the steak and allow juices to redistribute.

Edit: hit wrong reply button; comment was directed to Buckethead, not stike...
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Yep, heat up your steak platter and let your steak rest tented in HDAF for 5 minutes while you eat you salad and get your loaded baked potato ready.. :silly:

your steak will still be hot & juicy & ready to eat...oh don't forget the pictures... :lol:
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    I started warming the plates and I don't set them on the granite countertop. In the winter the granite seems to cool things quickly. I now put a cutting board under the plate while the steaks rest.
  • I'll try the warm plate thing. Thanks for the tip. Like I said someone would know.
    DMo
  • Kim I have been around here for 4 1/2 years ever since I got my first Egg. I still don't post pics, have not taken the time to learn. Plus usually I'm too busy drinking a good bottle of wine or great beer with anticipation of what's coming off the Egg to get my camera out. OBTW how do you get Polaroid pics on the site?
    Thanks for the response, left Lawrenceville five years ago.
    DMo
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    A friend bought me a metal platter that you soak in hot water while your cooking and then serve your steaks on the warm platter...works good.
    Larry
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Another thought - especially since you like med rare is to hot tub your steaks. I find my steaks stay uniformly warmer clear until I'm done. Otherwise you're going against a cold dark or even purple center on your steak.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    for example the benefit of placing your sealed steak in 100° or above water for an hour before egging. Note the uniform color and it stays warm.
    IMG_2569.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    I put them on a warm plate and then top it with another inverted warm plate. Stays plenty warm for 15minutes or so.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • To post photos on the forum, you need to have them hosted somewhere on a server on the web. This can be on a personal website, like mine, or it could be on a public hosting site like PhotoBucket. Once the photo is on a server somewhere, you can post the address of the photo in your post and the image will appear. For example, the following photo is on my website:

nbwoo.jpg

Why? I don't know, lol! So using the Img tag here on the board, I post the address which is http://www.nakedwhiz.com/photos/nbwoo.jpg If you were using PhotoBucket, when you upload a photo to them, they will tell you what the address is. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Polaroids, eh? The best way to post those would be to scotch tape them to your screen! :laugh: Or you could take a picture of your polaroids with a digital camera and follow the suggestions of NB.
    Paul
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I understand about resting meat, but personally, I just do not think that applies to a steak that is going to be served whole.

I just never lose enough juice to be a problem and dragging my taters or a piece of bread through what's there just never seemed like a problem.
  • We do something similar. When the steak comes off the grill it goes on a warm platter that has a bunch of fresh herbs, maybe a little fried garlic, and a healthy drizzle of EVOO. We usually go for a steak large enough for the both of us. So, after the steak gets carried into the house, it gets sliced and returned to the herb/oil platter with its juices and another small dose of oil or butter. (Although I like the parmigiano stike uses.) If all goes according to plan (meaning I haven't forgotten to get a bottle of wine from the basement or do something dumb like answer the phone), we're eating within 5 minutes of degrillature.
    Paul