Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First overnight cook

Options
PWise
PWise Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My birthday is coming up and have to entertain 20+ people this saturday... Am a chef by proffession and normally just serve a lot of apetizers, but want to do a different twist this year.

What do you expert eggers suggest I do for a first-time overtime cook? I own a recently gift-recieved XL BGE and live in Mexico, so the resulting meat, whichever it is, will be converted to tacos and served with different salsas of various spice levels.

Any suggestions??

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Pulled pork works great in tacos and is a forgiving cook. -RP
  • PWise
    Options
    thanks for your reply, would you happen to have a time-proven recipe that works well in a slow-cook in the egg as oposed to an oven?
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Pulled pork would be my favorite (boston butt /shoulder)

Sprig with garlic and rub 2 days before (can also inject with butter/garlic just prior to cooking) and refrigerate. Cook indirect with some wood chips and a drip pan (V-rack works well) at 200-250 range. Make sure you put LOTS of lump in the firebox and even up a little on the fire ring.

Best pulling happens if you can get the internal temp to 180-190. Some take it all the way up there and some people cook to 140, then foil, get the fire hotter and direct cook, turning frequently until it reaches 180-190. I like the former cause it is easier and more forgiving.

Be sure and rest it for about an hour (foiled and towel-wrapped in a warmer cooler works) before pulling. You can spray it with apple juice while cooking and or while pulling.

You will get several more, excellent recommendations shortly.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

(Where in MX?)
    /Clark
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Pulled Pork I agree and good luck with your party.
    Ross
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    As has been recommended, Pulled pork is typically an easy overnighter, makes great tacos - also makes a KILLER stuffing for green chile enchiladas! Look up Pulled pork in the Recipes section here - Elder Ward's is foolproof..as long as you control the temp well, which is pretty easy on the egg...and SUPER easy with a DigiQ II (only learned firsthand yesterday) - since you were gifted your egg, splurge for a DigiQ and you will sleep well the night before your party.
  • AZRP
    Options
  • PWise
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the advise, I will sure consider it, I guess it takes all night at 200-250 to reach 180 internal right? just to think ahead since I want to serve at around 4pm saturday...

(I'm in Monterrey, Mexico, two hours south of the texas border)
  • PWise
    Options
    I was actually deliberating between the Stoker, and the DigiQ II, have you heard anything about which one might be better and why?
  • AZRP
    Options
    Don't try anything below 250 on your thermometer. Dome temps and grid temps can vary 20-30 degrees and you will never get the meat to 190 if your grid temp is 170. Depending on the size of the butts, if I were serving at 4 pm, I would put them on around 9 pm.

You should look up Beli, he also lives in Monterrey an is an Egghead. -RP
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    The last one I cooked, I used the lower temp and it cooked about 20 hours. You can up the temp a little as you get near the end, if it looks like you are running out of time. You will need the hour rest time, plus pulling and prep time, so you probably want it to finish about 2.

I use the BBQ Guru, which is the precurser to the DigiQ (analog version). AZRP is absolutely correct-if you don't have a DigiQ, then don't let your dome temp get below 250. My dome temp usually runs about 50 degrees higher than my grid temp.

I use my Guru on about everything except for steaks, which cook quickly.

Good luck. /Clark
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. You will find all the info you need here. Pulled pork is awesome and your friends will love you for it, also it's hard to screw it up on the egg! Here's the pulled pork I made last week:

CIMG2838.jpg

The good news is it makes ALOT!

CIMG2842.jpg

Good Luck!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • PWise
    Options
    Great photos, thanks a lot! does the fact that your drip pan goes all the way to the edges affect your temperature behavior? I mean, if you use the platesetter, you are blocking part of the airflow, and also some of the grill pan is in direct heat instead of being indirect...

Have you had any issues with this?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    in a low and slo cook (say 225/250) you have to really jam the egg with stuff to hinder airflow. take a look at the open area of your daisy wheel, or how far open the lower vent is, and you'll see that that is ALL the open area you need to maintain your temp.

the platesetter is a lot more open on the sides than the daisy is open.

takes a lot (like 8 porkbutts, maybe) to mess with the airflow of a lo-and-slo cook.

no worries.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • PWise
    Options
    Ok so here's the issue, I already have the two 9.5lbs pork butts inyected and marinating in the fridge... the party was moved to tomorrow so I will be puting them in tonight.

I will do as follows unless someone corrects me. Dome temp 250°F, indirect setup, with the charcoal arranged as Elder Ward suggests in WiseOne's compilation of recipes from this forum. Will put it in at 8pm expecting to take it out around 2pm for service around 4pm... from 2 to 4 the ABT's and quesadillas will be cooked.

The issue as I mentioned before is that due to my location I was not able to get either the Stoker or the DigiQ II, so...
    Should I trust the egg on its own overnight or do I have to arrange a pre-party tonight with the excuse of having to stay up all night to check the temp? :P

All comments and suggestions welcome.
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Options
    Happy Birthday :)