Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How about a Thursday Recipe Thread

EmandM'sDad
EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
i think a good idea for this forum mmight be recipes that work well on the egg that are lower in calories and/or fat than some of our favorites from the other side off the board. yes people I have to use the "V" word, vegetables. posting these on Thursday will give everyone time to find the produce section of the grocery store before those big weekend cooks.(Hint: it's that part you walk thru on your way to the meat counter)

Grilled Zuccini

2-3 green or yellow summer squash
3 tbls olive
2-3 tsp Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin or your favorite rub
2-3 Tbls parmesian cheese(I use the cheap stuff for this)

Cut off ends of squash and slice lengthwise into 1/4"-1/2" slices. Brush both sides lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with rub. grill on very hot grill 1-3 minutes per side depending on how you like it. Sprinkle parmesain cheese and allow to melt for the last minute.

Comments

• I'll throw in one of our favorites.
    Marinate shrimp in EVOO and minced garlic for a couple hours. Grill with seasoning of choice. Serve over pasta of choice (wheat pasta is a great healthy alternative) we used linguine noodles here. Heat up a can of diced tomato's with garlic and onion to pour over noodles and fresh grated parm. cheese as desired.
    Serve with steamed veggie and whole grain bread if desired or lettuce salad. Simple, healthy and reasonable on the budget.
    shrimpandpasta.jpg
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Nice idea.

Here is my plan for Saturday's dinner. I've never done it so I don't know if it will be any good or not. Source is Parade magazine, but I adapted it for the BGE.

Yogurt-Chili Chicken

1 cup plus 6 Tbsp plain nonfat yogurt
    Juice of 1 lemon
    2 tsp honey
    11/8 tsp chili powder
    Salt and pepper
    4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
    1 mango, diced
    1/2 red bell pepper, diced
    Cilantro, chopped

In a large bowl, whisk 1 cup of the yogurt, half the lemon juice, honey, 1 tsp chili powder, salt, and pepper. Add chicken and mix to coat. Cover and chill for 2 hours; bring to room temperature before cooking.

Preheat to 375°F. Put the chicken on indirect and discard remaining marinade. Cook until 160* internal.

Meanwhile, combine the mango, pepper, and remaining lemon juice, chili powder, and yogurt to make a salsa. Cut the chicken on the diagonal into thick slices, fan the slices, spoon over with salsa, and top with cilantro.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Perhaps a winner there? Let us know!! 8 - ),,,
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Sounds great, I love squash.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Definitely report back on the yogurt chicken - it sounds really tasty. I often brine meats in buttermilk and it tends to make them more tender. I'll bet the yogurt does the same.
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • mkc
    One of our lighter meals is inspired by a Giada recipe, Ginger Sea Bass over Wilted Greens. I've seen Julie/Mainegg do similar.

For each serving

Take a sheet of foil or parchment large enough to make a packet.

Top with a HUGE handful of greens like spinach or chard. Add some minced shallots, garlic, diced or thinly sliced onion, thinly sliced roasted red pepper, whatever suits you're fancy. Sprinkle with a little salt, soy sauce, sesame oil, grated ginger, or whatever you like for seasoning. Top with a piece of fish, preferably a filet, you can use a white fish or salmon or steelhead trout, about a 4 ounce portion or so. Season the fish. Throw on some thinly sliced lemon, use your Dizzy Pig seasoning, fresh herbs.

Moisten with a little white wine, marsala, mirin, whatever you like. Close up the packets tightly. Cook indirect at 400 for 15-20 minutes until the fish is done.

We put the whole packet on a plate and let the diner cut into it themselves.

A nice side is some brown rice or whole wheat couscous so you can soak up the broth that forms.
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • mkc
    Uh oh, is it OK to post 2 recipes on the same day?

I just got to thinking the veg portion of our favorite butternut squash and pasta recipe would work well on the Egg, and it's from Cooking Light:

Pasta with Roasted Butternut Squash and Shallots

3 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
    1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    8 shallots, peeled and halved lengthwise (about 1/2 pound)
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
    4 ounces uncooked pappardelle (wide ribbon pasta) or fettuccine (we like whole wheat for extra nutrition)
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Preheat Big Green Egg (or oven) to 475° and have set up for indirect.

Combine the squash, sugar, 2 1/2 teaspoons oil, salt, pepper, and shallots in shallow pan that fits in your Egg (or in the oven a jelly roll pan); toss well. Cook indirect (or bake) at 475° for 20 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sage.

While the squash mixture cooks, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain. Place cooked pasta in a bowl. Add 2 teaspoons oil; toss well. Serve the squash mixture over pasta. Sprinkle with cheese.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup pasta, 3/4 cup squash mixture, and 1 tablespoon cheese)

CALORIES 248 (29% from fat); FAT 7.9g (sat 2g,mono 4.5g,poly 0.8g); IRON 1.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 5mg; CALCIUM 137mg; CARBOHYDRATE 39.4g; SODIUM 713mg; PROTEIN 7.1g; FIBER 5.2g

Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2001
    Egging in Crossville, TN