Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick Probe

Options
civil eggineer
civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about getting a maverick temperature probe. Which one is the one to buy.

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Just got an ET-73. Gives you both a pit temperature and a meat temperature. The receiver works all over my home, as far as I can tell. Haven't lost a signal yet. Very pleased so far.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    I've had that model for several years and use it regularly but my experience with the signal is not as positive. Even with new batteries it often won't reach 40 feet through brick and block walls. (The issue has been much discussed on many forums, to the extent that there are posts regarding how to add an external antenna to boost the signal.)

I do recall that Maverick was pretty good in responding to customers, and perhaps the design has been improved since I bought mine. It works well in every other way except that and I wouldn't discourage someone from buying it unless that aspect was particularly important to them.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I have had the ET-73 model for several years. Recently I had my first receiver problem - I was sitting at the kitchen island on the laptop. The receiver skipped from 118 to 150 degrees on a large ribeye steak. I jumped up, ran outside and snatched it off the BGE. (Nearby cats went streaking across the room at my sudden move). :woohoo:

Foiled it while getting plates ready. Turned out more done than we like, but still juicy and not shoe leather. I normally pull it at 125 degrees and get perfect medium rare steaks.

Not sure what the deal was, but it hasn't happened since.

No way the Egger could have been distracted (the wifey's opinion)....

Anyway, would definitely recommend it. Very simple and (mostly) reliable.

/Clark
    Madison, MS
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Interesting responses so far.

I initially got a ET-7 due to what I thought was a great price. The initial difference from the ET-73 is that the 7 has too food probes. I used food for pit and one for food. Worked fine.

My '7' model had very poor radio distance between the transmitter (tx) and receiver (rx). No alarms so I was still waking up wondering where the temp was at.

I found the ET-73 online for $39.99 and picked it up. Having alarms was a nice improvement. The radio distance between the rx & tx is great. Anywhere in the house and down the street 3 houses.

I always use the Thermopen to do the final done temperature of all my cooks. I use the '73' along with the digiq II as well as final checkk with the thermopen.

I really like the Maverick ET-73 along with the Thermopen.

GG
  • Lerxst
    Lerxst Posts: 17
    Options
    I too have a ET-73. If you look down a few threads to my brisket cook you can see what my external antenna mod looks like.

The on/off switches are delicate. The switch on the transmitter broke, luckily in the "on" position, so now I take out the batteries when done.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I was wondering what that wire was. I have great distance coverage as is.

I haven't had problems with the switches - so far.

GG
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I was always having to look at the instructions to remember which unit to turn on first (tx or rx). So, the OCD in me finally won and I used a Sharpie to write "Turn on First" on the back of......oops.... the one you turn on first. :ohmy:

/Clark
    Madison, MS
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Great idea! I'll do it tonight.

Anyone figure out why they put the switch on the transmitter on the inside of a door with a less than user friendly latch?
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I can use my ET-73 pretty much anywhere in the house. However, when I am near the maximum distance, there is no indication that it is no longer receiving and it stays at the last reading. If you watch it for awhile and don't see the receive icon flash, then it isn't receiving. It would have been a lot better if it flashed the temperature if nothing has been received in 5 minutes.

This may explain why your temperature jumped, maybe it wasn't receiving for a while due to a long distance, then it finally received a new reading.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If I get out of range on my ET-73 the rx shows "--" on both top and bottom display.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Rain/moisture, yes, its a pain.

GG
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that responded. ;)
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Pleased, I'm sure.

I'd forgotten those other issues. Yup, the transmitter switch is a real nuisance -- its behind the battery door which is underneath the removable hook/stand. And its correct that if the signal is lost, the receiver shows the last temperature received with no indication that its not updating except that the tiny signal indicator doesn't flash every few seconds.

It doesn't matter which you turn on first as long as they are almost simultaneous, and the transmitter has a button to resync with the receiver (although, again, its behind the door under the removable stand.)

Fundamentally this is a great unit that needs some reengineering.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If water resistant/proof isn't a consideration, take a dremel tool and cut a window in the battery cover. A toothpick will flip the switch easily.

GG
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Mine doesn't seem to do that. It just stops updating. I'll have to do some testing next time I use it and walk around the block to see if it shows the dashes.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I never moved from the same place and was actually less than 20 ft from the transmitter, through one set of windows.

Just a random "glich" I guess.

Will definitely keep an eye on the little signal indicator in the future!

/Clark

Madison, MS
  • Regis
    Regis Posts: 23
    Options
    The way I remember which one to turn on first is to turn on the switch that is easiest to get to first, then the one that is under the cover.

Although it's designed that way to keep moisture out of the transmitter, I think they could've come up with a little more convenient way of turning it on.

I've had mine for three years and have not had a problem with it. So all things considered, I buy one again.

Regis