Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Initial Thoughts

Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
Well, since this all started because of my post I'll post a couple thoughts on this.

I think it would be great to keep this a little competitive, but I understand that some people will be a little reserved about posting their weight, and rightfully so. I would be willing (if there is interest) to keep stats offline and just post results weekly. Those that want anonymity or discretion would have it - you can send me either beginning weight and loss amount each week and I will only post percentages, or you can send me percentage of loss each week only.

I will keep a spreadsheet with a chart for everyone's progress and post results weekly.

We can also do workout tracking...anything really.

I think this will be fun and encouraging to support one another and watch each other progress.

I am also going to do quarterly checks of my cholesterol and blood pressure and will share those improvements here as well.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I really think that it's a good idea.The only thing for me is,I am not as concerned with the weight loss,as I am the cholesterol and blood pressure.But I am willing to share my info ;)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    5'-10.5", 172 pounds. looking to hit 165.

my plan is to take a huge ***p in the morning after my first two cups of coffee and see if that saves me a couple pounds. then i'll wing it from there.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Thats funny stike, that was my plan. :laugh:
    No, seriously we got serious a few weeks ago and have been hitting the gym several times a week for a while. I was up to 184 and I am 5'10, I am at about 180(haven't weighed in a bit) my goal is about 165, but I don't mind if I come up a bit from there in muscle :whistle: . Looking forward to a support from the forum and some amazing recipes that people come up with.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Sounds great Fidel. I need a little incentives to keep me going. The last couple of times I tried to lose weight it did not take. I'm 5 10 227 as of 1/5 my goal is 190.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Ya'll have hit on a very touchy subject with me. I've been trying (I guess that's what you call it) to loose weight for about 23 years. Wow, when I say it, it really does sound pathetic. Anyway I am interested in trying whatever it is we are coming up with. At 6'0" and 320 I've bout had enough.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    update: i already dropped 18oz (don't ask how i know), and finished a crossword puzzle at the same time

(on a totally unrelated note, is it safe to use bleach on a plastic bathroom scale?)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Please count me in! I started a modified Atkins program right after Christmas. Starting weight was 295. I check each monday morning, and on 1/5 I am 285. My goal is to lose as much as I can before 2/12 - my total knee replacement surgery date. My goal is another 20 pounds. Using the egg is very easy on the Atkins plan - just stay away from the bread :S O yeah, 6'2....thanks B)
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Fidel,

I'd like to get in on this. I'm 5'7" (I think I can give Little Steven a run for his title as "little", except in the weight category) and weighed in this morning at 186. That's just 2 pounds shy of my heaviest, which was about 4 years ago.

My biggest concerns are really high blood pressure, which I've been taking maintenance meds for, and my cholesterol. I just started seeing a new doc, and should get my bloodwork results back this week.

I'm really kicking myself because just 6 months ago I was 168 lbs and feeling pretty good. Could it be a coincidence that I bought my eggs last May!?!?

Anyway, I'm in.

fc
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Ahh. The "Ron White Diet" I throw in a Reader's Digest with mine for the ultimate weight loss experience.
  • Count me in!! 5'10" - 234 lbs.

Started my yearly diet at 240 on 1/1/2009 with a target of 200 by September for vacation and a long term goal of 185. Bigger goal though is getting my health under control. I've been blessed with good cholesterol genes, but I've been taking too much advantage of it and as a result both it and my blood pressure are creeping up to the point the docs eyes went wide during my last physical. Not good.

I think the egg has actually helped me eat healthier over the last year. We eat a lot less take out and pre-packaged (sodium loaded!!) meals.

Quantity is my biggest problem. I hate for things to go to waste. I blame this firmly on my parents. I can still hear the "there are starving kids in China" routine when I had food left on my plate. To combat this we invested in a Food Saver for Christmas to help with portion control.

Now I just need to convince myself that things like girl scout cookies don't come in the convenient single serving boxes.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Good for you!! I also enjoy cooking for myself but every once in a blue moon I slip up and start looking for something in the prepared foods or freezer departments. Invariably I find nothing very healthy as most everything is mega-loaded with sodium! Even the "Amy's" brand (which is supposed to be health-wise) isn't exempt! Ever take a gander at the labels on soup or other canned goods? (ouch)!~
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Used to lift at the gym 4 days per week. Almost 2 years ago I had to cut back, mostly due to age. 9 months ago I had to stop due to injury. The trouble is I still eat like a powerlifter. I am now able to return to the gym, cardio and lite lifting.
    6'1" 325. My present goal is 250, but after losing alot of muscle I might try for more.