Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bottom Round Roast

Options
convert
convert Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a nice Bottom Round Roast at Sams club...Checked all the sites for temps.. times.... Nadda.. Any help here... Roast is 14.5lbs going to do half. I'm thinking of marinating in a marinade from a steel smoker that I bought many years ago. Anyone have another Idea??? thanks for any input.....

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Convert,[p]How lean is this roast? Most of the bottom round roasts I've seen in the store are usually pretty lean. If so, cooking that large a roast may be a challenge to do without drying it out. Marinating might help some, but if I were you, I would slice it up into 1/4" thick pieces and make some beef jerky. I often use bottom or top round to make jerky and it turns out pretty well.[p]Just my two pennies.[p]TRex
  • convert
    convert Posts: 13
    Options
    TRex,
    It has a nice fat cap on the one side that I was thinking of slicing off and using the fat for gravy... but maybe I'll leave in intact for alittle moisture for the roast...

• Convert,
    I, too, buy the beef roasts at Sam's. The smaller one's that have a "V" shape at the end, rather than the one's that look like a door stop.[p]I inject the roast with a mixture of Dale's Sauce, 2/3, and water, 1/3. Rub the outside with a little more Dale's, black pepper, granulated garlic and a smidgen of Kosher Salt. Let sit in the fridge over night. Bring to room temp before going to the grill. I also cover the top of the roast with a layer of bacon, as this helps to keep it moist and add some flavor.[p]As far as cooking and times, it will vary as to the weight and girths of the various roasts. As a rule of thumb, for ME, I cook indirect at 350° dome to an internal temp of 122°. Pull from the grill, sample/eat the bacon and let the roast sit for approx 15 minutes before covering and refrigerating. As I mentioned, times will be anywhere from 15 to 20 (+ or -) minutes a pound for cooking. Use a thermometer. I throw a hickory chunk on the lump, too, prior to putting the roast on to cook.[p]Slice it thin AGAINST the grain. If you don't have a slicer, take it to a butcher shop, or a small market with a slicer, and they should do it for you. This will be some of the best roast beef sandwiches that you've ever had. The meat freezes well in small batches also.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Convert,
    I haven't cooked a lot of bottom round, but with those I have I used a jacquard meat tenderizer to just pierce through the fat cap and connective tissue, just barely into the meat. Stand the roast in a v-rack, or otherwise support it, so you can cook fatside up, allowing the melted fat to trickle down into the meat.
    Rum posted good time & temp info.[p]Ken