Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small vs Mini

Options
LoveMyEgg
LoveMyEgg Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone. I am new here. I have the large egg and love it. I am thinking about getting either the small or the mini for ice fishing, camping, hunting trips, and picnics. The mini seems rather small while the small seems rather heaving for porting around. Any opinions or advice. Thanks.

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    mini is perfect for one or two and travel .
    repeat after me.. i love my mini.
    zippy has mini photos with in the last 2 days if you scroll down .
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    It really depends on what you plan on cooking.The small is an awesome "little" version of the large.There are platesetters and pizza stones available.The mini is more of a grill(with a 9" grid).Don't get me wrong,I have,and love both,but if I were doing a lot of cooking,I would definitely go with the small ;)I can carry mine(no problem)and put it in the passenger seat without even emptying the lump :woohoo:But if your just doing a few burgers,the mini is also great ;)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Personally the best combo is a large and a small. Of all my eggs my small is the go to workhorse that I use 60% of the time! As for making the small more portable for just one person - though 2 people including one being a child makes it a breeze - get one of these things called a PotLifter.
    IMG_1780.jpg
    BTW welcome to Eggdom!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I love both our sm and our mini. for portability the mini has it. but it is only good really for two. If you want something that is more of a work horse then the small is great. It will give you more working space for larger cooks combined with your large. We left the mini home in Maine and I wish we had stole it back from our son and brought it :(
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    LME, here are the pictures bill mentioned, I don't have a small so I cannot compare the two, but this will give you an idea what you can fit on the mini, click the picture:

th_IMG_2474.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Nice shots of Miss Mini hard at work. Photo presentation was great as well.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • I've got a large, small and mini. I use the small for sides when I have a big crowd over. The small also goes camping - I can easily cook for my family (four) and others depending upon what I'm cooking. The mini is used to make dinner for two or just a big steak for myself. Hope that helps.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was intrigued by the mini for a long time, then I found out about the practicality of the small. Figured I'd get a small one day but gradually came to realize that I don't actually need a small yet. I need the large and I also could use a portable egg that I can take on trips, vacations, etc. but can enhance the large, allowing me to have two cooks at once if I want to. Something that gives me a cooking alternative to the large when I don't need to cook a lot.

So I got a mini as my second Egg and I use it a lot. My first cook was a 3.1/2 lb chicken and the next day I cooked a roast beef. I lean more toward grilling than smoking so the mini is fine for grilling up the main course. I cooked swordfish steak on it the other night. and last night I cooked 8 good-sized drumsticks on it (it was a pile o drumsticks, not pretty but they came out fine!) A lot of times, even though there are 4 of us, I'm able to cook enough meat on the mini for a meal.

IMG_1422.jpg

Something I am looking forward to is I will be able to take it to work with me when I'm working in the field.

don't rush your decision. think about how you intend to use it, what are your priorities, etc and then go from there. or wait.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Get both and take em for a ride :evil:

My small and mini went for a boat ride down da bayou - cooked all day for a buncha lying fisherman (that's redundant) :)
    IMG_2836800x600.jpg

You already have good input above. They are both portable - just a matter of what you will want to cook.
    Anything you can do on the mini can be done on the small but not the other way around.

Smoke two slabs of baby backs - small
    Grill a couple burgers - mini (or small)
    Grill some salmon while smoking something - mini and small
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I have the lg, md, sm, mini.

My main cooking needs are for:
    . Group of 24 mix of adults & pre-teen's.
    . Grandma & me & 3 or 4 pre 10 year old G-kids
    . Grandma & me (most of the time).

Before getting a mini I thought it was cute and way too small. After buying all the other sized except the xl I got the mini. The wife got tired of me always making excuses to go see it.

Now except for the large group I use the mini more than any other of the eggs and more than I use the medium or small combined.

If your needs are to cook two large steaks, probably the small would be a better solution. I can cook what the wife and I eat, portion size, well on the mini, that is one large steak we split or two smaller steaks.

I can cook enough chicken, chicken parts, dogs, brats, meat, fish and on and on for wife & I and some g-kids on the mini. I can cook enough on the mini for probably 4 adults.

I am thinking of selling the medium and or small and just keeping the mini & large.

With that said, I do like having other eggs for different type of food cooks at the same time

For my needs I think I would first get the large, then mini and if I wanted another egg I would skip the medium (which I don't like very much) and skip the small and pick up another large.

2 lg's & mini would be ideal IF I needed more cooking space otherwise, lg & mini.

Just my 2¢
    GG
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    What! W-H-A-T-! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

You insulting my Medium -- ?

Pt 'em up! :angry: Put 'em up! :unsure:

Let's duke it out..... :S :evil: :laugh: :evil: :S
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    :woohoo: you know about my medium, the medium and I have an ongoing battle.

I am amazed what you do on your medium. I keep waiting to see if you get a large.

Hope you and the Mrs. had a good holiday.

Kent
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Kent, want to sell me your small? :evil: got my large less than a year ago but often find wasted real estate on the large, now looking at getting a small vs. mini. There are five in our family (me, wife and three young adult kids) but wife and I eat small portions.
    canuckland