Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newby Egger First Try at Sirloin Steak

DavidL
DavidL Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thought I'd share a couple of pics from some of my first tries at cooking with the new Egg. Cooked up some Sirloin steak for the guinea pigs (family). Everyone thought they turned out real good. I think I've still got a ways to go to get to that steak I can taste in my head. Hopefully, I'll get there one of these days. I'm having fun anyway. Can't wait til the plate setter comes in so I can try some brisket and ribs.
bge2008sirloinsteak2vp0.jpg
bge2008sirloinsteak3ad9.jpg

Comments

• JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    welcome aboard and good job. Congrats on the new egg. You will be well pleased with the results on the ribs. The plate setter is one of my most valuable eggessories.
  • They look great. The more you cook on the egg he better you get and realize it is really easy to use. Let you imagination go when using the egg.

-Charlie
  • Steaks look like a nice medium finish. If you want more outside sear try setting the egg up wide open and cooking at about 700 deg. For a one inch thick steak sear for 2-3 mins a side then shut the egg down and cook for 3-4 mins. Also, if you have a coffee grinder you can grind fresh peppercorns and combine with garlic powder for steak that you swear came from Ruth's Criss.

Platesetter is a must. Use a drip pan alot.

Good cooking, eating, and living.

porkbutt aka Mark
  • DavidL
    Thanks for the comments and welcome aboards. The steaks are more of a medium-well finish. The family won't eat it cooked much less than that. I personally prefer a tad on the rare side of medium.

The hottest I've been able to get my BGE to is 650 deg. I keep reading where folks are searing at 700 to 750 deg. Maybe I need to pack more coal in there.

Porkbutt, cooking as you suggested at 2-3 min per side (searing) and then 3-4 minutes with the egg shut down, what degree of doneness is a 1-inch steak? I'll definitely try that method. As for the Ruth's Criss steak, do you apply the pepper and garlic before or after you cook?

David
  • I'm new at this myself. But when I do steaks I pack the lump to the top of the fire ring. Also make sue the opening in the fire ring is lined up with the bottom damper opening. Your lump may be part of the problem. I would never use briquettes and I only use BGE coal. I just found out that BGE coal is made by Royal Oak and you can get it at Walmart. Make sure you get hte RO from the US. The stuff from Argentina has some problems as was posted on the forum. The pepper garlic powder mix goes on prior to searing and let it sit on the meat for appx 1/2 hr. Again, welcome to the forum. As I said I new and I learn somthing everyday and usually have a laugh or two along the way.
  • DavidL
    Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to check the ring orientation. I'm using BGE coal so I think I'm good there. I'll have to check Walmart for the RO stuff. My dealer gets $20/bag for the BGE-labeled coal. I would certainly welcome something that works that's more friendly on the pocketbook. :)