Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sad news

WMK
WMK Posts: 1,747
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
yb008.jpg
<p />Hi all,
I'm sorry to report that JJ, one of our founding members, and, friend of many of us "EGGers," passed away last night. He had gone in the hospital to have an
aneurysm fixed in his stomach and a stint put in a leg arterie. He was in surgery from 10 am until 5:30 pm. He passed away about 10 pm last night.
He will be sorely missed,
WMK

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    WMK,
    We raise a glass and say a prayer.
    RhumAndJerk

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    jj.jpg
    <p />WMK,
    I am still in shock. He was one tough man, and I fully expected him to pull through this surgery with flying colors. Those who never got to shake his hand, and see first hand his outwardly friendliness and hospitality, only have his mixed reputation to go by.[p]I am pretty much at a loss for words, but what I want to say is that I am glad I got to meet this fellow in person. My heart goes out to his friends and family during these difficult times.[p]Chris Capell

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    WMK, thanks for letting us know. I'll miss him. And I'll miss his leg of lamb at EGGtoberfest. My prayers are with his family.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    xxegg-99.jpg
    <p />WMK,[p]While he was sometimes controversial, he was a real gentleman when you met him and was always ready to help you out. Pictured are two forum friends that I knew and now miss, our ranks are less today and many of us are sadened again with another loss from our forum. Thanks, WMK, for posting the news - your dad was a swell guy too! Our thoughts go out to Kathy and the family.[p]Tim
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    WMK,
    I am as shocked as everyone else and saddened by the loss. I echo NatureBoys thoughts on those who didn`t have the chance to meet him personally. Our wishes and prayers for all of those affected by this.[p]Wess & Sally

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    jj.jpg
    <p />WMK,[p]Tears fill my eyes as I type in response to the passing of my "big" Brother. We met at (after having planned) the very first Eggtoberfest almost 6 years ago. JJ and I were very close. We have been guests at each others homes.[p]As has been stated, only after shaking his hand could one begin to get to know the real Jack Gocek. A finer friend you will not find and I'm damn proud to have been one of his.[p]Our prayers go out to Kathy.[p]Ken and Carol G

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    WMK,[p]This comes as a very sad shock and surprise. JJ was a true friend. Although his ways and mannerism were unique, I learned much from him and considered him my friend.[p]May God bless and be with his family during this time of loss and sorrow. He will be missed by all.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    WMK,[p]Oh this is so sad. Eggers are like family and that makes it harder still. My condolences to his family and other friends.[p]Think I'll make those cornish hens tonight in his honor.[p]mShark
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    WMK,[p]As Jack an I have never met in person, he has called me several times at my home just to exchange friendly conversation.[p]He was always supportive to me during difficult forum times and friends like Kenny and Larry only echo that.[p]I learned to appreciate the true JJ through these guys.[p]I am so sorry and saddened on this day.[p]My prayers to JJ's family.[p]Mick[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    WMK,[p]I was sorry to hear of the sad news today. Thanks for telling us WMK. While never meeting him, his input and advice to everyone in the forum has been invaluable to me and to most everone here. From newbies to seasoned veterans, his advice and knowledge was always informative. He loved to cook and loved to pass that enthusiasm on to others. We lost a great resource in JJ and we're all saddened by that. God bless him and his family during these trying times.[p]Troy
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Well, I have to admit, I didn`t like reading this bit of bad news.
    He sure was a gruff old son of a pup behind the keyboard but his late-night periodic phone calls to me just to 'shoot the chit' certainly showed a different side of him..
    Bummer......[p]Mop

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    WMK,
    I'm another one that only knew JJ through the forum and a few private e-mails. I always found him to be very willing to help.[p]It's a sad day and he will be missed by a lot friends as well as his family.[p]Regards,[p]New Bob

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    WMK,
    This is really hard for me to type,JJ was one of my best friends.I am so thankful that I got to talk with him for about an hour on Sunday.I went to my first Eggtoberfest in 1999 to meet JJ in person,since then Jack,Kathy and my family have become very close friends.He will be missed.
    Larry,Kaye&Jenny

[ul][li]Jack and Kathy[/ul]
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    WMK,[p]I'd like to know more about JJ's last BGE meal and I'd hope that it was a good one. [p]Like everybody else I came to know two JJ's - the guy in person and the guy who sometimes got on the board late at night. I chose to remember that first JJ and I grieve for him. [p] I'll never forget how board's 'old-timers' like JJ were truly passionate about not just BBQ, but cooking. Before joining the board, I'd never personally met folks who could make lifelong friends or foes over recipes, temps and such. [p]Finally, we sometimes have discussions on the board about whether a steady diel of BBQ and 'egged' food is healthy. JJ was a walking ad for the BGE-based diet. The man looked as healthy as an ox. But he was sometimes a very angry ox and I think that's the part that's not so healthy. [p]Sure gonna miss that guy.[p]CB
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    char buddy:[p]I, too, met JJ several times in person . . . And that is the one I choose to remember as well . . . I know his loved ones will miss him dearly.
    [/b]
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    As with many others here, my shock and sadness leave me at a loss for words. JJ was a treasured friend. If you never met him in person or spoke with him on the phone, you will never know the true JJ. My thoughts and prayers go out to Kathy and the rest of the family.[p]With Love,
    Jim

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    WMK,[p]JJ was my mentor when I first started Egging, and after we met at the '99 Eggtoberfest he became my friend. He may have had some rough edges, but he was solid gold inside - a sweet guy, a helluva cook, and a fine drinking buddy. I'm glad I knew him and I'm deeply saddened that he's gone.[p]My thoughts are with Kathy and his family. WMK, I bet JJ and your dad are cracking a few brews and swapping stories. [p]Cat

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Cat,
    Have you made your 'Fest plans, yet? Any chance you and the big guy showing up?[p]

• WMK,
    The impact of one's life is measured by how many lives that person has touched. JJ has touched many.....[p]Thank you, JJ. My prayers are with you, Kathy.

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    RhumAndJerk, i am sad that i never met the man our thoughts and prayers to his family and numerous frieds
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    WMK,[p]I am saddened by the passing of JJ.
    This forum will not be the same without him.[p]My thoughts and heart go out to his family and friends.[p]John[p]

• Looks like his last post was on Sunday ... an offer to help a fellow Egger. That's cool.[p]Sorry to hear about his passing.
    Dave

[ul][li]JJ's Last Post[/ul]
  • JJ,[p]Loved ya man(and your lamb at Eggtoberfest).[p]Would like to see an egg left unused at
    Eggtobefest in honor of your memory.

• Orio Kid
    Orio Kid Posts: 87
    WMK,
    Our thoughts and prayers are with J.J.'s family.
    Jake and Bridget Shepard
    Mint julips and ribs, the direct method, in honor of JJ this weekend.

• Butch M
    Butch M Posts: 52
    WMK,
    As a new egger, we had the honor to meet JJ at Eggfest last year. He was so helpful. He took a lot of time to show us how to accomplish several things. He will be missed. May God Bless his family during these difficult days.

• JJ was there at the beginning of this Forum. This was at the time there were few if any forums of this kind. He helped launch the Eggtoberfest along with his good friend Bill Miller, now also departed. He was one of the pioneers, an original Egghead. His knowledgable advice on cooking on our Forum answered a variety of questions from new and old Eggheads alike. We could put a book together with the material he posted so generously on this Forum. A delightful friend, a generous personality, and last but not least, a lover of the Big Green Egg and Egghead family. JJ, we will miss you.
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    DSCN0023.JPG
    <p />WMK,[p]I also met JJ at Eggtoberfest '99 and we quickly became good friends. We lost a very dear fiend, and "big" brother. He will be sorely missed.[p]Spin and Sue

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    BGE and Ed Fisher.
    I can only echo your words and add a tribute to Jack for his service to his country. My thoughts and prayers are with Kathy and JJ's family.
    All is well, safely rest,
    God is nigh.[p]Go to sleep, peaceful sleep,
    May the soldier or sailor,
    God keep.
    On the land or the deep,
    Safe in sleep.[p]Love, good night, Must thou go,
    When the day, And the night
    Need thee so?
    All is well. Speedeth all
    To their rest.[p]Fades the light; And afar
    Goeth day, And the stars
    Shineth bright,
    Fare thee well; Day has gone,
    Night is on.[p]Thanks and praise, For our days,
    'Neath the sun, Neath the stars,
    'Neath the sky,
    As we go, This we know,
    God is nigh.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    jj.JPG
    <p />WMK,

JJ & Kathy were good friends to both Barb & i. Kathy we are here for you so call us anytime . JJ god bless you~!!![p]Earl & Barb

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    WMK,[p]I, too, am shocked. I also knew both sides of JJ, and very much enjoyed his company at the second Eggfest. My thoughts and prayers go out to Kathy and the rest of his family.[p]Dave/Cornfed