Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday's Baby Back Ribs

Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
FriDay_Ribs_033100.JPG
<p />I did the 3-2-1 method tonight - didn't have the apple juice in the house so I did without - Thanks George T. Ribs went on at 12:30pm, sweet potatoes went on at 3:30pm - dinner serverd at 5:30pm - shortened each step by a few minutes - Great RIBS! [p]Dr. Chicken... just don't look at the Sweet Potatoes!
[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Gfw,[p]Hey, I am 48 -- I forget stuff - is the 3-2-1 the method where you cook and steam the ribs in foil?? I did a rack once for a few hours and then the last two were in foil. Not good!! To mushy and I thought that maybe doing the foil part earlier and doing a direct cook last would be good. Is that what you did, 3 hr indirect, 2 hr steamed and 1 hr direct?
    I don;t think I have ever seen the meat pull up that much on the bones - they must have been darn tender.[p]
    Tim

• Gfw
    Tim M, I think the last hour back on the BGE really makes the difference. The ribs were great - I know that putting the ribs in foil for most is a real "no-no", but I like the results. [p]Over the last few months I have had several email messages off the forum from people that have tried and liked the results. [p]TENDER - MOIST - JUICY and just GOOD![p][p]
    [ul][li]The 1st Time[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Gfw,[p]I can see where some would like it that way - I totally understand that. I go to rib joints where people rave about them and I am disappointed. It's what you get use to or like for whatever reason. Same reason there is more than one brand of car. I always wanted to try 3-1-2 to see what that would do. Maybe I will do it sometime soon. I agree - ending after being in the foil is not good - they need direct after the foil.[p]Tim
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Gfw,
    I couldn't even look at anything until a few minutes ago. Your post was done @ 19:16 March 31 and here it is 07:24 April 1. I guess it is the system, 'cause I still can't call up the "Last 25" section.[p]The baby backs sure look good! I'll take your word for the sweet taters! You probably don't like squid or octopus or snails or mushrooms! We all got to have different tastes! :-))) Thank goodness!...........You've got the weird one! Yuk! Yuk! I want ya to know, I ain't knocking ya! Any one that shows good pictures like dem, and cooks on da Egg, is "Tops" in my book! It's just a character FLAW! We can't hold that against you! :^) (I can't believe I really said that!)[p]All kidding aside Gordon! The ribs look excellent and so do the sweet potatoes! One of these days I hope my cookin' is up to par with yours, Spin's, Tim M's, C~W's, NB's, Elder's, Cat's, KOC's and a whole lot more that ain't listed! I'm still workin' on it though! And.........enjoying the dickens out of the practice![p]I'll be lookin' fer the next place to "cut dem sweet potater's down"...Dr. Chicken[p]
    p.s.: Maybe I could start a new political party to rid the world of Sweet Potaters? Naw!!! I wouldn't want to put all dem sweet potater farmers out of work! The farm economy is bad enough as it is!

• Gfw
    Dr. Chicken, you are definately right, I don't like squid or octopus or snails -- mushrooms I like fresh, but not cooked. [p]Appears that the "Last 25" list is out of temporarily order. No cooking today (at least nothing planned), just preparation - time to start preparing some Mexican Meatloaf, Chili fixings, etc.[p]BTW: I'm sure that your cooking skills are "more than adequate" - I do read your posts. Have a great weekend!
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Tim M, this time for the last hour, I removed the drip pan and placed the firebricks on end so that the ribs were directly exposed (but still on the 2nd grid) to the coals - they really turned out great - I was hoping that my wife (who doesn't really like ribs) would concentrate on the sweet potatoes and there would be a few left for a snack today - no chance! [p]It is a lonk cooking process (almost 6 hours) but well worth the wait. Have a great weekend![p]

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Gfw,[p]Nice tread. I have missed this method somehow will try it soon. The Video was a nice touch. I just don't have enough toys. [p]Elder Ward

• Gfw
    Elder Ward, toys, toys and more toys! The BGE is also just a really nice toy that I have really had a lot of fun with!