Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sittin' Chicken--did not turn out

Bluecrab3
Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had the egg for over a year now, and this was my second disappointing experience. Bird was tough and skin was rubbery. I would suspect it was because of two things. Tough--large hen 5.5 lbs. Rubbery b/c I did low/slow at 275 until breast hit 170. Did not do 1 hour quick cook. I was expecting bones to fall off like rotisserie chicken--no go. Tough as a wild turkey killed in the woods. Breast was pretty good, though. Sprinkled with JH Lil' Shag.
IMG_0823.jpg

Then the finished product:
IMG_0824.jpg

Comments

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Just bump up the temp at the end and it will crisp the skin. I cook my drunk chickens at 350 and then raise the temp for about 5 mins at the end.

Good luck next time.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You are correct - the low and slow cook is the likely culprit that caused the rubbery skin.

Cook it hotter and faster for more crisp skin. I like doing chicken at 400-450* and they cook in about an hour, maybe 75 minutes. You should also pull the skin away from the meat to allow the fat to render more easily. Just stick a finger under the skin and pull it back a little. While the skin is pulled back you can toss a little rub in there for good measure.

If the bird is fatty then you can also use a small knife to make a few slits low in the skin covering the breasts and thighs - just puncturing the skin - to allow the fat to render out.

Some people say that sitting the bird uncovered in the fridge for an hour or so helps the skin dry prior to cooking, but I personally have never tried this.

Also, salt on the skin helps.
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Thanks Fidel! You always give great advice.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I appreciate it, but to be honest most of what I pass on is stuff I have learned over the years reading here.

I have an occasional random original thought, but for the most past I am just sharing tips I have assembled from the thousands upon thousands of posts here. I can say that what I pass on I have tried for myself and found it to be successful, but I can't take credit for the ideas.
  • Couple things store rotisserie birds are smaller and have been (for the most part) injected with solution. They cook them on high heat and and try to cook them in 45 minutes. I too will inject my birds with water and salt. Salt to retain the water and inturn give a better finished product.
    Happy New Year
    Doug
  • Fidel - I have never done a 5.5 pound hen. I have had over the top results with fryers. My mother-in-law used to fuss when she cooked a hen saying they were difficult to get tender (but she always did - she could cook roof shingles and they would be good). Have you ever done a hen?
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I believe your right...this is most likely a stewing hen, an old bird. Some of those larger chickens can be tender if they are harvested young. Yours I'm thinking was a tough old bird good for soup and stock.
    Better luck next time!
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    :laugh: Oh Frank, you said.....................
    Have ya ever done a hen....

I about split a gut laughing. :lol: :silly: :lol:
    Sorry, I couldn't help it. Hmmm, maybe ya should be a comedian???

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Didn't mean to, but I get it.