Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walmart precooked brisket vs. our brisket on BGE

Options
Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some friends are raving over the fully cooked, smoked briskets they can buy at Walmart.. I know they are about $6 plus per lb. I haven't tried it.. How about some pluses and minus about this.. They seem to insinuate that this is as good or better than mine off the BGE and no cooking or preparaton work.

Comments

• trythebge
    Options
    I refuse to concede that anything precooked by a chain merchandiser can hold a straw for the flavor that the BGE can provide. Think of the flavoring woods and eggtra tenderness that one can get from the controlled cooking environment of the Big Green Egg. Try the combination fruit woods. These things have a heck of a taste. If the lazy among us give way to Walmart cooking for us maybe the next step is to have a WM ee come to the house and feed us too?
  • If it came from Walmart I would question whether it was actually a real brisket!!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    wonder if it is the same brisket that Sam's Club carries. I've been told a couple times that the Sam's club precooked brisket is very good. never had the "nads" to buy one though......oh, i'm going to time out corner now........T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    next time they are over, nuke them up some walmart brisket, then tell them how they should have been there yesterday for your homemade one, the best brisket you ever made
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kirok
    Kirok Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey, don't knock it until you try it. I was at a friend's house who served the Sam's variety. It was VERY good. It also cost $40 for 4 pounds. But you have to ask yourself, why are you in this? Cook your own brisket and pour you soul into it. I'm sure it's taste will improve as time passes. You can tweek the taste and spices. You can have a beer as you watch the smoke drive out towards the yard. Pursue your perfection and don't worry about what you can buy in a grocery store or discounty club...
  • chefreyguy12
    Options
    it sounds dirty to buy meat from walmart they are so evil, i am a local small business chef and watch small businesses fold because of walmart all the time. I really think we are all given a gift to be able to use the bge to make some of the best bbq and charcoal cooked foods anywhere maybe its my passion for food or my passion for good food , but walmart will always be diapers, and the cat food store to me just my opinion sorry in advance for my hate for the walmart.
  • Kirok
    Options
    Well, politics aside, the brisket is good. My point was, the trip is half the fun (or more.) Sorry to get your dander up.
  • KentuckyEggMan
    Options
    walmart couldn't carry my briskets jock strap.
  • Egghead31
    Options
    This has got to be some kind of joke right??? Did they mention this on April 1st?
  • Kirok
    Options
    Well, let me say this about that. I am not a BBQ snob. I love my BGE. I love cooking on it and preparing the fire. I love the ride. But unlike some BGE enthusiasts, I can be subjective. The Sam's brisket that I've had a couple of times was very good. My masculinity is not threatened by that. As I said, I love the journey and will keep on cooking on my BGE. But to discount the Sam's brisket w/o even trying it just shows you to be a BBQ snob. No, it wasn't April 1st. Have you tried the brisket?