Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thick Pork Chop Methods

Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently visited Costco and couldn't pass up their pork loin chops. They were 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" and beautiful. I'm doing some tonight. Normally I just grill with a rub, but recall reading several posts debating the various cook times, temps. and dwell times for really thick chops.[p]I'm definitely of the new mindset regarding pork doneness, but the wife still gets a little squirrely with pink pork. [p]Any opinions, experiences or comments would be appreciated. [p]Thanks. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Comments

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Lawn Ranger,
    Do yourself a favor and put together a simple brine and brine them for a few hours before your cook. You'll be amazed at the difference. I did this for the first time last week and wouldn't prepare prok or chicken any other way now.[p]Kip

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Lawn Ranger,
    I have done a lot of experimenting with pork chops, from slow cooking with lots of smoke to turbo-cooking with dwell and everything in between. As much as I like the flavor of chops smoked with apple wood, the tend to get dry. I have found, for our tastes, that I like lean chops cooked almost the same as a good steak. I use two different pre-cook preps: coat with dizzy dust and mustard, or marinate in Italian dressing for 4-8 hours and then coat with Dizzy Dust. I start the cook at 600° for 3 minutes per side, then dwell for 4-6 minutes depending upon their thickness. I usually add a little mesquite during the dwell for some added smoke flavor. I tried apple wood once but it is too mild to get into the meat during a dwell. Makes some fine eatin'!

• Lawn Ranger
    Kip,
    Thanks. I may put it off until tomorrow. How did you season after the brine?

• Lawn Ranger
    Steve-O,
    Those were the times and temp that I was contemplating. In Texas we use a lot of Mesquite, and, believe it or not they are in no short supply. I've been using a lot of pecan lately. It really gives a great aroma and flavor. Thanks for the advice.[p]Happy Trails.

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Lawn Ranger, I heard that in Texas the Mesquite is considered a weed.

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Lawn Ranger,
    Your chops sound like the Iowa chops I grilled last weekend. I fired the egg up to 350 and grilled them about 15-20 minutes each side. Turned out just right.
    Julie

• Lawn Ranger
    CR,
    Depends on whether you're ranching or bagging it to sell for smoke wood. [p]LR

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Lawn Ranger,
    I'm not sure if it's fallen out of favor or if the product is now passe here, but at one time alot of folks used to talk/rave about Char-Crust for grilling. I, for one, really like the hickory-mollasses version on thick chops. Grill each side, pull at 140°F internal, let rest 15 mins and it doesn't get any better than that.
    When grilling food I don't usually brine. If you keep an eye and don't overshoot that 140 degree target by much, the meat is plenty juicy without that brining step.
    Qfan

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Lawn Ranger,[p]I've tossed this technique into the ring several times. Not sure I ever got any takers. [p]We do thick pork chops on a frequent basis, and almost consider them a specialty of the house. We like center cut "rib" chops (a Cooks's Illustrated recomendation) and get them 1½-2 inches thick. They are brined for a couple of hours in the standard salt/sugar/water solution OR sometimes, JAppledogs OJ and jerk sauce with spash of rum. I smoke them at 250° dome (cherry chips) to an internal temp of 135°. Pull off and dust with your favorite rub (currently Dizzy Dust all purpose for me).[p]The Egg or high temp gasser then gets cranked up to unregistered nuclear weapon mode and the chops get blasted for a minute or two per side to get the grill marks for presentation and to crisp up the fat. This will also push the internal temp into the 140s.[p]Yet another alternative....[p]K~G

• Byrdo
    Byrdo Posts: 36
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Here is a posting I used the last time I grilled some chops and they came out great and had excellent smoky flavor. Take a look below.[p]Posted by Steve-O on August 29, 2002 at 22:43:47:[p]I have finally found a way to get the smoked flavor I like in a grilled chop. I like thick cut butterflied loin chops - very lean and our local grocer puts them on sale frequently. I have tried just smoking them, but they turn out too dry. I have grilled them over a very hot fire with a dwell, just like you would a steak, and they are good, but just not what I am after. I have now used the following method three times with, imho, excellent results. As soon as the charcoals are glowing from my electric starter I add a couple of nice chunks of apple wood and put the chops on. The dome on my small is reading about 150 degrees and the smoke is pouring out. I leave the bottom and top wide open and let the temperature rise to 450 degrees, usually about 8-10 minutes, all the while the smoke penetrating the chops. As the temp approaches 450 I begin to close down the vents to hold at 450. After 1.5-2 minutes more I turn the chops for another 3 minutes, then dwell for 4-5 minutes. Wonderful smoked flavor, nice grill marks and charring, very juicy and tender. This is my permanent method for loin chops from now on (until I find something even better - hard as that is to imagine).

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Byrdo,
    That's just about the way we do them only we add about 6 hours of brining first. Nice to see others arrive at the same method.

• Lawn Ranger,
    The next time you get thick chops cut a pocket from the bone out into the meat. Mix up a stuffing (even stovetop) toss in some blue cheese and stuff the chops and cook your favorite way. They make big smiles around the table. The idea comes from Merle Ellis.
    Jack
    Smokin in the rain