Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQII

Options
belle's dad
belle's dad Posts: 146
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got one for Christmas - except a few weeks early. I have a few questions. One: When do I want to know the grid temperature rather than dome? Did turkey using MAD MAX's guidance. Set temp setting at 325 dome and internal at 160 (breast) (20.60 Lb Turk) Expected a 5 to 6 hour cook. Done in a little over 3 hours. Alarm went off, juices clear. Skin not browned enough. Looked enemic. Took it off, tented and put in oven to hold for a few hours. Turkey was good, but, what did I do wrong?

Gordon
Vero Beach, FL

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Not really all that important to use/know the grid temp over the dome the dome over the grid.

Keep in mind the grid is about 15° to 20° below the dome temp. Personally I mostly monitor grid temp. I like to know the heat at the food level.

I have done quite large turkeys now. For some reason my cook time is less than what Max shows. Mine are done quicker also. I have to watch that the skin doesn't brown too much - once in a while I have to tent with foil to prevent over browning.

When doing a large turkey I do make sure the egg is stable before putting the bird on. I pull at 165° brest (thermopen) the time is only a guide.

Picture below is a 23.5 lb, I didn't have to tent this one but it too cooked fast.

I cooked a 13# turkey and it took longer to cook than the bigger turkeys. Not sure why possibly more area was taken up in the egg on the larger birds.

turkey.jpg

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Same short cooking time on this 23 pounder, no foil needed on this cook.

turkey0812.jpg

GG
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    if you clip your grate clip to your dome thermometer you will end the guessing game... i always clip mine to the thermometer because most recepies tell you what dome temp to use

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• belle's dad
    Options
    Thanks for the response. Bente--I have mine clipped to the Thermometer. I was just wondering if I should have it on the grid.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    well since most recepies i see call for dome temp.. so that would be more math for me to do!! and i am not good at math :pinch: :blush:

just do whatever works the best for you ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Chef in the Making
    Options
    I also cooked a 20 pound turkey. It took 4 1/2 hours to cook at 325 with the DIGQII pit probe attached to the therometer in the dome. I did not use the food probe but instead relied on the thermometer that came with the turkey and my thermopen. I pulled at 160.

Not sure of the Mad Max method but I did mine indirect with legs up and a drip pan under the grate. The turkey sat on a rack that came with one of my roasting pans.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Scroll 25% down the page and you will see what the BBQ Guru folks say...

http://www.thebbqguru.com/bbqGuruU.cfm

Looks like they have expanded the page. Some interesting stuff there.

Turkeys are pretty big so I don't think there is much difference if the probe is on the dome thermometer or on the grate.

Just remember there is a bout a 20° difference between the two places.

For me most of the time I want to know the temp that is hitting the food so I use grate level.

GG
  • belle's dad
    Options
    Thank you all for your response. That old turkey just cooked quicker than I thought it would. cooked indirect with pizza stone on the spider and drip pan with water in it sitting on that. Turkey turned out well, but, I had to juggle it a bit because of the time factor.
    Thanks again

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    John- I'm confused. You say you relied on the thermometer that came with the turkey (as well as thermopen). You mean the pop up kind inplanted in the breast?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If I recall, I think the 'pop up' buttons release at 180°.

GG
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I had heard that also but when i compared it with the Thermopen they both read 160