Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving a small and large

Options
kjed
kjed Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

I'm moving from NH to FL next month. I have a small and a large. I have hired a moving company to truck everything to my new home. My question is, what is the best way to have the movers carry the two BGEs? Should I disassemble the domes from the bases, and wrap all in bubble wrap? Or should I just wrap up the innards and place back in the eggs, and have the movers place them in the truck intact? Or, is there a better way that you all know about?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom,
Keith

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Make sure they know what they are moving and let them handle it. Also make sure they will replace if broken. Where down here are you moving?? Always looking forward to another Florida egger
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I agree with Pat, tell them what it is and be sure they know they value. After that, stay out of the way. That way, if they break it, THEY break it and will replace it.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I would just be sure they are insured and let them handle the eggs, it's their job!! If they break it, you get a new one!

Welcome to Florida... it's 84 degrees here today. I think I know why you are moving here!

Check out the sunsets here!

sunsetsfromhome020.jpg

Faith
    Florida Grillin Girl
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • kjed
    Options
    Pat,

That seems almost too easy! I understand your point, however, if I'm paying them to move the stuff, they should have insurance to replace whatever gets broken.

I'm moving to Cape Coral, so I'll enjoy the sunsets over water, while you enjoy the sunrises. I made up my mind when I was 35 that I'd move to FL by the time I was 40. Missed the boat by 1 1/2 years, but now's the time. Can't wait...

Keith
  • kjed
    Options
    Thanks for the replies; I think that's the best attitude. However, I still think I'll bubble-wrap the innards, and perhaps strap the dome down onto the base. After all; they might be responsible for moving the stuff safely, but they probably have never seen a BGE before, and don't know fragile or not it will be.

Faith, great picture. We spent a couple months in Ft. Myers last winter, in a rented home, while we looked for a place to buy. We found a place in Cape Coral, and spent quite a bit of time checking out the area. My favorite place so far is Sanibel. Love the sunsets there.

Keith
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Having dealt with movers, I would just say, inform them and then let them do it. If you wrap stuff and then something ends up broken, they will blame you. Now, you can put the eggs in the car and move them yourself. I am sure the shocks on the car are softer than a moving truck.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    If your down in time you might want to check this out

Leigh Strand - Event Chairman
    THE HOG STOPS HERE
    239-910-0928 cell
    239-541-4928 wk
    www.grillityourself.com

http://www.grillityourself.com/events.html
  • kjed
    Options
    Pat,

Thanks for the heads-up on this. The site is bookmarked, and I'll be sure to check 'em out when I get to Cape Coral. Thanks!

Keith
  • kjed
    Options
    Gene,

You definitely have a point. I've also dealt with movers, and that's why I was thinking I should wrap everything in padding. I will have a conversation with the moving company before the eggs go on the truck and make sure we come to an agreement.

Can't fit the eggs in the car; computer equipment (more expensive than BGEs) and the dogs (irreplaceable at any price) have to ride with me.

Hope to meet you folks at the Florida Eggfest.

Keith
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I have moved my Large several times. It's funny to see the look on the movers faces when they try to figure out what to do with it!

The last time the 4 guys stood just looking at for about 15 minutes! They decided to leave it in it's tile topped table and moved the whole thing together, no problem.

I will definitely see you in Ocala.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini