Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pastrami

Options
CR
CR Posts: 175
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there a preferred wood used for smoking a corned brisket to make pastrami?
Might try this weekend.

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    CR,
    Whatever you use go a little lighter on the smoke. You don't want to overwhelm this cut of meat. Pecan if you have some would work, as would hickory or oak. One fist size piece would suffice in my opinion. I've done a couple of these and usually use pecan. I dont think the fruitwoods wood be the best choice with beef, but then again I haven't tried them on beef.
    Good luck on the cook. Pastrami makes a gooood sammich.
    Bob

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    CR,
    I vote for Oak, Red Oak if possible. It has much the same effect on beef that it has on wine. It mellows and enhances the flavor without adding too much of its own flavor.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• CR,
    Heres my 2 cents:
    I got 2 of them on right now. I put them on last night around 6pm and used a small amount of mesquite I did put a light coating of rub on them. Before I went to bed I foiled them and the temp was around 280 when I got up the temp was 190. I pulled a small piece off and tasted it and oh WOW there great! I think there done so I will take them off here in a little bit. Were having them on rye with mustard and potato soup to go with it.