Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is Prime Rib only cut from Angus beef? Could a bone-in rib roast be considered "Prime Rib"? What's the cooking time for a 4 lb. Prime Rib roast? Could one or several of you geniuses chime in with an answer? Thanks so much. The Egg Rules!!!

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    prime2.jpg
    <p />TM Hess,[p]The prime rib is a cut of meat and doesn't have to come from any particular type of cow. Butchers often use all sorts of names for the same cut of meat, I think everyone wishes they would standardize the names but they probably never will.[p]It has been a long time since my last prime rib, perhaps the link below will help you. Good luck and enjoy![p]Tim
    [ul][li]Prime Rib[/ul]
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    TM Hess,[p]First of all, the "Prime" in Prime rib has nothing to do with the USDA grading of the meat. What we are talking about here is a standing rib roast from any grade of beef. If purchased from a supermarket, most likely it's "Choice".[p]If I remember my bovine carcass, a standing rib roast consists of 12 ribs. Ribs 9-12 are cut from the loin end of the roast and are more tender and less fatty than from the other end. These are considered the "Prime" ribs of the roast.[p]Certified Angus beef should result in a finer finished product to justify the premium you pay for CAB.[p]Any good beef rub such as NB's Cowlick steak will work beautifully. Cook at 325° or so for about 15 minutes per pound until the internal temp hits 125°. [p]Let it rest for 20 minutes before carving. You should see medium on the ends and medium rare in the middle. You are in for a treat![p]May the real beel experts correct me If I'm wrong with any part of this explaination.[p]K~G[p]

• TM Hess,[p]try this. it is a modified version of Doc Chicken's incredible rib roast cooked under a salt dome. [p]
    Old English Prime Rib Roast: by Dr. Chicken
    For original recipe post go to: http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/beef0141.htm
    A simple but extremely tasty, tender and fantastic roast[p]Ingredients:[p]? 3 Cups sea salt, or kosher salt [p]? 1 Tbs Flour[p]? 4 large egg whites (I use egg whites from a carton - All Whites)[p]? 4 lb large end or small end standing rib roast[p]? 3 Tbs Worcestershire sauce[p]? 1 Tbs Paprika[p]? 3 Tbs Crushed garlic[p]
    ? Salt & Pepper to taste[p]Salt Crust and Cooking Tips:[p]Buy a prime rib, enough for 1/2 to 3/4 lbs for each person.
    Rub garlic all over the roast, along with Worcestershire sauce and paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Allow to marinate 2 to 8 hrs. [p]add the egg whites to the three cups of Kosher salt along with a tbs of flour. Mix it well and make salt bed on your cutting board for the roast ? about a quarter of an inch on up to a half-inch thick. Pack the rest of roast with the salt. The entire roast should be covered with the salt. If you run out of salt, just make another batch with the same proportions ? 3 cups of salt to 4 egg whites to 1 tbs flour. If the salt mixture is too wet and does not adhere well, adjust your mix with one less egg white. It if the salt mix is to dry and does not adhere well, adjust with one more egg white. [p]
    ? Set roast aside in V rack.[p]Cooking Directions:
    ? Prepare Egg as normal for an indirect cook.
    ? Bring Egg up to 500 to 520 degrees (dome temperature)
    ? Place desired type and amount of wood chunks on burning lump
    ? Place pizza stone or firebricks in place to deflect heat
    ? Over a drip pan with no water, place roast and v-rack
    ? Close dome and adjust upper and lower vents to insure 500 to 520 degrees cooking temperature
    ? Cook roast 15 minutes per pound for medium rare
    ? Insert polder into roast last 30 minutes of the cook, protecting cable where it is in the cooking chamber and where it comes through the dome
    ? Use 145 internal temp for rare, 160 internal temp for medium, but remove the roast when it is 10 degrees below your target temp).
    ? remove roast and allow it to sit uncovered for 10 minutes before removing salt[p][p]Special Instructions:
    ? When roast has set for 10 minutes break the shell of salt away from the roast and remove. The salt will be very brittle and may have to be scraped from the meat surface. Allow roast to sit another 10 minutes, slice and serve.[p]When cooked this way, the roast will be extremely moist with a red or rare 'heart' and a well done, even crispy outer shell. Even the outer shell will be moist. [p]

• Jeff J
    Jeff J Posts: 55
    TM Hess,[p]Here's a pic of my recent first try at prime rib on the egg. I'll post a formal receipe later. Turned out perfect. Just olive oil and black pepper before on the egg. Dome temp 175, hand full of mild chips,plan on about 2 hours per pound. I got this time/temp receipe from a big $$$ resturant that specializes in prime rib. I noticed most prime rib receipes on the forum are higher temps/shorter cook time, never done it that way so can't compare but I know this was some of the best/most tender primes I've ever had. It takes a while but is well worth it.
    [/b]
  • char buddy,[p]That sounds delish! Can't wait to try! Can I buy Prime Rib at Sam's?[p]Thx,
    The Slammer

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    TM Hess,[p]I think eating Prime Rib off the Egg was one of my proudest moments with the BGE thus far. I cooked a 5 lb, bone-in (I can't remember how many bones-in) prime-grade (yeah, it was pretty pricey, but well worth it) roast indirect, at about 300 dome, a couple mesquite chunks, until Polder read 140 internal. I rubbed with kosher salt, black pepper, olive oil, and spicy brown porter mustard and seared three sides on the Mini at 800 F before transferring to the Medium for the main cook. If I remember correctly, it took about 2.5 hours to get to 140 internal.[p]This thing was absolutely delicious. I cooked it for Thanksgiving dinner and people were amazed. Go for it, and good luck! You'll swoon over the results.[p]TRex
  • Jeff J,[p]I've read lots of recipes that say you should sear each side over high heat, then cook it at a lower temp until it's ready. I don't think searing is necessary. A good crust will develop over time. I use a simple rub of olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. You can also poke holes in the roast and insert slivers of garlic.[p]Last November I did a huge boneless ribeye roast. It was something like 14 lbs. Neither of my thermometers were working, so I kept my eye on the clock, and cooked it (cut into two smaller roasts) at 250 per lb, for something like 7 minutes per lb (I think that's what my beef cookbook recommended for rare). It came out perfect. Make sure you serve it with some horseradish sauce!
  • Tim M
    Jeff J,[p]175° dome temp?? That is pretty low, are you sure about that. That low of a temp is awful hard to maintain, why not use 250-350°?[p]Tim
  • Jeff J
    Tim M, Yes 175. I had never cooked at that low of a temp myself and was nervous but it was alot easier to maintain than I expected. We had a 4.5 lb prime rib. The recipe I had gave the 175 for 2 hours per lb, the resturant used some special roaster oven just for prime rib. I couldn't just trust the time so I used my polder, hit 135 in 8 hours, left it on a little longer then wrapped in foil for about 1/2 hour. So it took less time than I expected. Prime rib must be slow cooked, you could cut it with you fork.

• Tim M
    Jeff J,[p]I see that you cooked it for 8 hrs. Holding 175 deg for that long must have been a pain. Glad it worked out for you though. I have never seen anyone post a dome temp that low for anything except jerky - it's just so hard to hold at that temp. I agree, long and low is good for prime rib but it might make it too smokey for my tastes.[p]Tim
  • Jeff J
    Tim M, I tell you honestly, I didn't have to readjust my temp 4 times during the 8 hours - I was suprised myself. With just a handful of chip there was very little smoke ring. You could really overpower it with the smoke

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Tim M,
    It was my understanding that true 'Prime Rib' had to actually come from stamped 'prime' beef. Anything else could only carry the label 'standing rib roast' for the same cut.....
    Qfan

• KennyG,
    7 ribs in all. The first 3 (sometimes 4) ribs from the small (loin) end are the "Prime".

• BBQfan1,
    Thanks for all of your responses. I knew I could count on you guys. I can't wait to cook a Prime Rib Roast.