Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping Thirdeye - beef tendeloin

Options
Reb
Reb Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw your plan for your beef tenderloin. I have a 5.5 lb and wondered how much time you thought it might take for medium rare. Ballpark estimate would be fine.
Also, did I read somewhere about folding the smaller end over and wrapping with twine?

thanks

Comments

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    Ditto question from me... just asked the same on your earlier post...
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Well, It looks like I can answer both of you in the same thread....I see GirlyEgg also asked this question in one below. Last question first, yes I guess you could fold over the small end and tie, this works very well on a pork tenderloin, maybe that is what you saw.

For that first question - timing....I knew this question would pop up, and the truth is....I can't say exactly. And here's why. I buy the whole ones and trim myself. An untrimmed one looks like this.

DSC06557JPGa.jpg

After trimming them, I wind up the main muscle which has a large end & a small end, and the chain which I remove.

DSC06558JPGajpgb.jpg

The first variable in the cook time question is of course pit temp. The next variable is the size and degree of trimming of your roast, one pound will make a difference. Another variable is the fact most folks sear them first and I don't.

I can tell you guys and gals what my intentions are. I'll be using a very raised direct set-up over a medium hot fire, 300°. I'm cooking the roast on the right (the one 1 labeled small end). I will rotate it a couple of times during the first 30 minutes to even out the color, and stick it with a cable thermometer once it starts to firm up a bit. Then I will put all of my faith into what the thermometer tells me. I would like to see it up to 70° or 80° internal in the first hour, and will tickle my vents to try and make that happen. Taking it the next 40 degrees or so will be more important. I don't want the pit temp so high that the color will get too dark, nor too low as to dry out the roast. I am thinking a window of 20 to 30 minutes is all I'll need for it to finish. I know I've done smaller ones in around an hour, so my unofficial guesstimate for my roast is 1 hour 15 minutes.

I promise to keep notes on tomorrows cook.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    Thanks! I'm doing mine tonight... actually starting the fire shortly! I plan to use a raised "raised" grid similar to yours... then sear and follow "house of faulkner"... which takes it down to 350 to cook... I'll let ya know how it goes... I have a whole tenderloin,untrimmed... I've rolled it with twine to make it more "round"...
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Yep, the T-Rex crew is no stranger to beef. Please let us know how it turns out.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    at 350 degrees (at the cooking level) and cooking indirect, you should expect 45 minutes minimum for almost any size tenderloin. The important point is that all of them are very similar in diameter so the length isn't particularly relavant. A full piece, not a well-trimmed one, will likely take a bit longer but you should start checking the internal temps at 45 minutes. Don't take it beyond medium rare (maybe 140 degrees internal) or you risk losing the tenderness for which you have paid a premium price. BTW, I usually double back the thin end also just to get more even cooking.