Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Help

Options
nikkig
nikkig Posts: 514
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got back from the store and picked up a 3lb. peice of meat that I have no clue how to cook, I have never seen one of these before. Even the meat people were unsure. It is labeled as a pork top round roast/pork ham inside roast. Anyone have any ideas? It looks pretty lean. I'm not looking for anything fancy. I figured I'd just coat it with some Dizzy Pig and cook away...just don't know how long or at what temps to cook.
Thanks in advance![p]~nikki

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    nikkig,[p]It actually says: pork top round roast/pork ham inside
    roast?[p]Sounds like one of those Turduckickens with one inside the other. I have no idea what that is. You might look below and see if you can find something that looks like it. You sure the butcher isn't having some fun with ya??[p]http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPork.html[p]Tim [p]

[ul][li]Pork Cuts[/ul]
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Tim M,
    It has two different labels on it...one says "pork ham inside roast". I take this to mean it is the inside cut from the ham. The other label says "pork top round roast". It is a boneless, fairly lean peice of meat. The girl working the meat counter was new, and she had no clue what it was or how to cook it. [p]It looks like a good cut of meat..I'm just baffled as to what to do with it. I already looked on Cooks Thesaurus and didn't see anything like it.[p]~nikki

• nikkig,
    This link might help. I would treat it the same as a pork loin. Cook at 350 dome to an internal of 145.[p]rj

[ul][li]LEG (HAM), INSIDE[/ul]
  • Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    rj,
    awesome link! bookmarked! thanks for the info!

• Mike in MN
    Options
    nikkig,
    I would watch it closely, as it probably won't take all that long to cook it. If it is that lean, there will be that outside chance that it could be a bit on the dry side.[p]Mike in MN

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    I agree. It may worth cutting off a small cube of the meat like you would for a kabob. Try cooking it at a higher temperature and see if the results are tender. If they are, I would be tempted to cut apart the roast into pork steaks or cube it for kabobs. If not, the I would go for a low and slow method.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk