Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egger logging on

Papa bear
Papa bear Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good day eggers.

Well I figure I might as well join after lurking for the last 4 months.

A coworker got one of these for Christmas last year and I had been interested in one about that long. I finally broke down and bought one the first of August. Got a medium and nest for $400.00 from a local appliance store. They had a clearance sale going on and the price was just 2 good. I did not get a chance to really use it until September after Labor Day.

Our first cook was a roasted chicken. We had done a lot of these on our old gas grill. So we decided to try something that we thought that we had a pretty good handle on. Boy were we mistaken. This chicken came out far better than the ones on the gas grill. The nice thing is that what we don’t eat from that whole bird ends up in enchiladas. We got the recipe from a friend who does turkeys on her Webber and then makes enchiladas from the leftovers.

Since that 1st chicken the egg gets used about twice a week. We have since done sour dough bread, that sausage and cheese bread in the owners manual, baby backs, briskets, pork chops, pork shoulder streaks, flat iron steaks, salmon, shrimp, ducks and pheasant that I have harvested hunting and more chickens. I don’t think there is much that cannot be cooked on the egg.

Since I already had 2 overnight cooks with the briskets, 1 at 9 hours and the other 11 hours we felt ready to try a pork shoulder. We had a friend, the turkey lady above, that was supposed to come over yesterday but the weather prevented that. So since it was thawed out we went ahead and decided to go for it any way. Put it on at 10:00 last night and it hit 200 deg at 10:00 this morning. From the Elder Ward recipe we had home made whole-wheat sourdough rolls with raspberry jelly from our neighbors with the hot pulled pork on them for brunch. My wife watched the egg till about 3:00 this morning before coming to bed then I got up at 8:00 to finish it off. She said the temp barely wavered from the setting of 250 deg dome. It was at 210 degrees when I checked it at 8:00 this morning. Opened up the bottom vent to get it back up to 250 dome. Still have about ½ a load of lump left in the egg. The whole time we were cooking this, the temps were between 10 and 20 degrees out side. Boy was that pork great. It will be our dinner tonight as well.

So we have a lot more to try and learn about this wonder full cooker. All of the success that wehave had are because of the information passed on by the others on this forum. Thank you all for being so helpful.

Mike

Comments

• Welcome aboard. I know that you will continue to enjoy your egg
  • Welcome Mike (Leroy, please add Mike to the "assimilated" list!). Sounds like you are well on your way up the learnign curve, but rest assured, there are lots of helpful people on here...and a few smart alecks to keep things lite. ;)

As for that dumbass vaccine in your sig line....we're working on it - but there are so many different antigens, strains, etc.
  • I am doing two pork roasts, and it is 9 degrees/wind chill at -7. Fortunately I can get the Egg on the South side of the house, but the Temp is holding at 300 degrees. Meat temp is 179, so I have a little way to go yet. :unsure:
  • Welcome Mike,
    From that list of cooks you seem to have tried just about everything. A couple of my favorites are pot roast and meatloaf. Both are great on the egg. Tomorrow I will be using both my large and small with a ham in each using two different recipes. Good luck and post often.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Congratulations on so much success so soon. The learning curve is usually very short. Even for someone like me who had never smoked anything before the egg. If you are like me, you will and may have already packed on extra fat :blush:. Hey I call em like I see em. I was already overweight and now this awsome food making machine has become my best friend as well as my #1 enemy. :laugh:

Have fun and enjoy the holidays!
  • Welcome aboard Mike. You have been busy. Next time you're in the hood, bring some pics along. :)
  • B) So when are you going to try some smoked porridge Papa Bear? B)
  • Pizza is one of my favorite cooks and will blow your mind. The only downside is you will never want to go get one anywhere else. I am also a medium egger and love it. Have cooked about everything and found the egg to be very forgiving. Welcome aboard and seek advice from the experts on this forum as it is a terrific bonus free of charge.
  • Thanks for all of the support. THe ease of success I would have to thatnk all the forum members for the great information.

Mike